- Email: Mary.Smigielski@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 312.345.1718
- Fax: 312.345.1778
Mary Smigielski is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Employment & Labor Practice. She is a high performing attorney with considerable experience partnering with all levels of leadership to achieve complex business objectives, define, assess and control legal risk, and implement workplace policies and best practices while managing multi-discipline teams and big ticket litigation. Ms. Smigielski handles matters including complex and single-plaintiff litigation, charges of discrimination, nationwide counseling, and sensitive workplace investigations, including C-Suite level.
- September 05, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Welcomes Mary Smigielski to Chicago Office
- Nearly a decade in-house at an international Fortune 100 retail company after 14 years of private practice. Counseling and litigation supervision for approximately 100,000 retail and pharmacy employees nationally and off-shore, as well as Supply Chain/Distribution, Real Estate, Loss Prevention, Consumer Electronics, Procurement, Apparel, Grocery/Drug, Inventory Management, Facilities, Finance and other business units.
- Cost sensitive litigation management of heavy class/collective action/PAGA and single-plaintiff docket nationally and in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Developed strategy with outside counsel, managed outside counsel/budgets and attended significant depositions, hearings, mediations, arbitrations, trials. Evaluated risks, set reserves and litigation budgets and counseled management on litigation process/avoidance. Resolved $26M individual plaintiff employment verdict and related cases for $1.9M in California.
- Directed litigation and negotiated highly favorable class/collective settlements including alleged failure to pay vacation/personal days to approximately 100,000 employees in Illinois; national violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) during hiring; nationwide misclassification of various managers; improper wage statements in California.
- Successfully defended Employment Arbitration Agreement from claims of unconscionability and compelled putative class actions to arbitration in state and federal court.
- Employment law due diligence for M&A deals, including $2.3B spin-off with 6,000 employees and a $2B REIT transaction.
- Counseled HR/management through all aspects of WARN, OWBPA and EEO adverse impact analysis of staff reductions and facility closures, including negotiating and preparing exit agreements and restructuring for optimal efficiency and avoidance of litigation.
- Developed and revised employment policies, executive/employment agreements, third party contracts, organizational and compensation structures, diversity initiatives, marketing materials and press responses.
- Continually revamped payroll practices to ensure compliance, evaluated risk and revised independent contractor selection process, and advised on e-commerce/gig-economy initiatives and new policies such as a non-accrual vacation policy, BYOD, social media and elimination of performance reviews.
- Led significant workplace/ethics investigations and immediately responded to workplace violence or other situations requiring crisis management. Responded to DOL/state audits and partnered with law enforcement agencies such as the FBI, DOJ, and Homeland Security.
- Proactively advised on new laws and regulations.
- Developed training and trained all levels of employees on employment law issues.
- Various Law Department responsibilities while in-house included RFP process, planning CLE, revamping processes for legal compliance, paralegal performance analysis, member of Pulse Committee and co-chair of social planning subcommittee.
- Led corporate raiding/restrictive covenant litigation at direction of the Chairman of the Board of a national healthcare provider.
- Achieved favorable consent decree in multi-year ADA litigation with the EEOC for a retail client.
- Multiple favorable summary judgment decisions, including in favor of a mortgage company on a claim of retaliation when plaintiff was terminated five days after her sexual harassment deposition.
- Member of firm management committee at a prior firm.
- First Chair, Annual Seminar – panelist, Hot Topics in Employment Law, 2016
- North Shore Labor & Employment Counsel (NSLC) and Baker McKenzie – panelist, Employment ADR 2.0: How to Build an Effective & Efficient ADR Program, 2015
- ACC, Wisconsin Chapter and Littler Mendelson – panelist, The Great Arbitration Debate, 2014
- Ogletee Deakins, Workplace Strategies – panelist, State Law Considerations for HR Professionals, 2012
- Littler Mendelson, Executive Employer Conference – panelist, Retail Roundtable, 2010
District of Columbia (inactive)
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Courts for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- First Chair, Top Employment Counsel 2012, 2016
- Top Assistant General Counsel 2014, 2015
University of San Diego School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1993
- Deans Distinguished Service Award
- Editor-in-Chief, Motions, School of Law newspaper
- Diploma, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Paris 1991
- Intern, Center for Public Interest law
University of San Diego
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1990