- Email: Steven.Shape@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 312.463.3401
- Fax: 312.345.1778
Steven Shape is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology and Antitrust & Competition Practices. Mr. Shape is a registered patent attorney and electrical engineer who has represented preeminent technology companies in complex, high-stakes intellectual property litigation and United States and foreign patent and trademark prosecution matters for over 30 years. He is admitted in many federal district courts throughout the country, the U.S. International Trade Commission, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Shape's experience encompasses a wide variety of technologies, including computer hardware and software; database systems; telecommunications; lighting and LED technologies; computer networks and systems; data privacy and security; relational databases; world wide web systems and protocols; big data including open source, software as a service (SaaS) and other service delivery platforms; electronic commerce methods and systems; auction technologies; electronic discharge machining (EDM) technologies; computer numeric control systems; semiconductor circuitry and devices, fabrication, and packaging; digital image processing; pharmaceutical handling, counting and dispensing systems; digital cameras; audio-video systems; aviation devices; de-icing systems; refrigeration systems; fastener manufacturing technologies; medical devices; heart mapping systems; diagnostic equipment; automotive control systems and components; machining and packaging systems and a variety of electrical and mechanical art classes.
Mr. Shape has successfully represented clients in complex business litigation concentrating on patent infringement and defending infringement claims, trademark and Lanham Act claims, copyright claims, unfair competition claims, false advertising claims, trade secret claims, and related antitrust and business causes. He has served as counsel in a number of jury and bench trials and has extensive experience in all aspects of Federal Court litigation including preliminary injunctions, summary judgments and appeals.
Mr. Shape counsels clients in transactions involving IP rights worldwide, including providing infringement, validity and freedom-to-practice opinions and managing IP licensing programs in the U.S. and overseas. He regularly represents clients in appeals, inter partes review and other post-grant proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Selected Intellectual Property Matters:
- Successfully navigated settlement and dismissal of all claims in a family of patent infringement suits involving system, method and device patents covering electronic discharge machining technologies leading to a substantial sale of the prolific inventors technology and a desired monetization and exit strategy for the client.
- Intellectual property counsel for Fortune 100 publicly traded, computer, software and systems retailer and solutions provider with locations worldwide.
- Lead plaintiff’s counsel in a patent infringement lawsuit related to cutting-edge lighting devices and methods of use specified and purchased by the world's most secure facilities.
- Counsel to well-known Chinese hardware manufacturing company for patent, trademark, copyright and licensing matters.
- Provided aggressive defense to iconic American guitar manufacture on claims for misappropriation of trademarks, copyrights and confidential information.
- Obtained an exclusion order in a complicated International Trade Commission action involving highly sought after exercise equipment manufacturers.
- Served as lead counsel to national web content publisher and service provider in various trademark and copyright infringement matters including unfair competition claims.
- Prevailed as lead plaintiff’s counsel in multiple patent and trademark infringement disputes in federal district courts throughout the United States relating to fastener manufacturing technologies.
- Obtained favorable settlement in a complicated International Trade Commission action seeking exclusion of the infringing imaging devices for well-known imaging client.
- Obtained and enforced UK manufacturer’s trademarks and copyrights in various federal district courts throughout the United States against infringers selling popular and highly desirable consumer goods.
United States Supreme Court
United States Patent & Trademark Office (Reg. No. 30,802)
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
District Court, Northern District of Illinois
District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Various District Courts throughout the United States
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
Juris Doctor, 1982
University of Cambridge
Certificate of Legal Study, 1981
University of Illinois
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1979