- Email: Jacob.Sawyer@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 312.463.3432
- Fax: 312.345.1778
Jacob Sawyer is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation Practice. His practice focuses on defending manufacturers, premises owners, suppliers and others in toxic tort and environmental litigation in the state and federal courts of Illinois and Missouri. The focus of this defense is the provision of novel and proactive solutions that reduce his clients' potential liability in specific cases, while also focusing upon the impact and effectiveness of defenses throughout the landscape of the civil litigation.
For over ten years, Mr. Sawyer has successfully managed litigation for companies by identifying readily available defenses to obtain quick and efficient case resolution. In other circumstances, he has helped to develop and implement defenses that serve his clients from the initial pleading stage through verdict at trial. He has drafted and argued motions through each stage of litigation and regularly participates in discovery into fact and expert witnesses.
Jacob also has extensive experience defending products liability litigation, benzene litigation, and general liability and catastrophic loss claims.
- Author, "Applying Other-State Law to Illinois Tort Actions", Illinois Bar Journal (December 2012.)
- Co-Author, "Illinois Passes new Law Exempting Asbestos-Related Claims from Ten-Year Construction Statute of Repose," FETTI Case Law Update (Winter/Spring 2015.)
Has participated in several multiple-week products liability civil jury trials in Illinois federal courts resulting in favorable verdicts, including:
- Kinser v. CBS Corporation; No. 94-2282 (C.D. Ill. 2014)
- Wright v. CBS Corporation; No. 1:11-cv-01954 (N.D. Ill. 2013)
Northern District, Central District, and Southern District of Illinois
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Illinois Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Chicago Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Editions in 2015 and 2016
- Inclusion in Leading Lawyers - Chicago Emerging Lawyer in Civil Defense in 2015 and 2016
Washington University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2003
- Global Studies Law Review, Editorial Board Member
Oklahoma State University
Bachelor of Science, 2000