- Email: George.Pitcher@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 971.712.2803
- Fax: 971.712.2801
George Pitcher is a partner in the Portland office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Products Liability and Professional Liability Practices. Mr. Pitcher acts as both national and local counsel to defendants in asbestos litigation. He currently serves on the board of directors for the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, and he will begin serving a term as president of the OADC in 2019.
Mr. Pitcher has tried cases in Oregon and Washington state courts and argued cases before the Oregon Supreme Court and Oregon Court of Appeals. Cases tried to verdict include legal malpractice, medical malpractice, asbestos, professional liability, employment discrimination, breach of warranty, lemon law, and breach of contract cases.
Mr. Pitcher has been involved in some of the most significant and longest trials in the Northwest over the last 15 years. Examples include the Masood insurance fraud case in 2011 that resulted in a $10 million judgment against the plaintiff following a nine week trial in Clackamas County; the Emrick asbestos case that resulted in a defense verdict following a 14 week trial in Multnomah County; the Barabin case where the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in 2014 vacated a multi-million dollar judgment based on the trial court’s failure to hold a Daubert hearing; the Bolt v. Influence case where the Oregon Supreme Court announced the legal standard for presenting sufficient evidence to plead a claim for punitive damages; and the Smith v. Providence Health & Services case regarding “loss of chance” claims in personal injury cases that Mr. Pitcher argued before the Oregon Supreme Court in March 2016.
Mr. Pitcher has defended numerous cases involving claims of significant personal injury such as paraplegia, amputations, wrongful death, cancer, brain injury, sexual assault and severe burns.
Published Appellate Decisions in Cases Argued by Mr. Pitcher
- Smith v. Providence Health & Services, 270 Or. App. 325, rev. allowed and argued at Oregon Supreme Court March 4, 2016 (2015)
- State ex rel Portland Habilitation Center, Inc. v. Portland State University, 353 Or. 42, 292 P.3d 537 (2012)
- Patton v. Mutual of Enumclaw Insurance Company, 238 Or. App. 101, 242 P.3d 624 (2010)
- Mason v. Mt. St. Joseph, Inc., 226 Or. App. 392, 203 P.3d 329 (2009)
- Groth v. Hyundai Precision and Ind. Co., 209 Or. App. 781, 149 P.3d 333, Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 17,642 (2006)
- Woods v. Karl Karcher Enterprises, Inc., 341 Or. 549, 146 P.3d 319 (2006)
- Bolt v. Influence, Inc., 333 Or. 572, 43 P.3d 425 (2002)
- “Two Trials in Two Years—A Firsthand Account,” Quarterly Magazine for the Podiatry Insurance Company of America, April 2016
- Co-Author, “Best Practices for Privilege Logs in Oregon State Court Cases,” The Verdict, Spring 2012.
- Co-Author, “Jury Instructions in Punitive Damage Cases: Using the New Mandates from the United States Supreme Court,” International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Co-author, “Medical Monitoring: The Impact of Lowe v. Philip Morris,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Magazine, Summer 2008.
- “Recovery of Economic Losses in Negligence Actions: ‘Special Relationships’ and Beyond,” Oregon Appellate Almanac, 2007.
- “End of the ‘We Can’t Tell Rule’ Makes Life Much More Difficult for Appellants,” Oregon Appellate Almanac, 2006.
- "Does the Learned Intermediary Doctrine Still Exist in Oregon?” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Magazine, Winter 2005.
- “U.S., Oregon Courts Split Over Punitive Damages,” The Portland Business Journal, November 5, 2004.
- “Fourteen Week Asbestos Trial Results in Defense Verdict,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Magazine, Spring 2001.
- Comment, “The End of Oregon’s Reasonable Seller Test: A Real Change in Law or a Mere Change in Terminology?” 32 Willamette Law Review 851 (1996).
- Note, “Moser v. Frohnmayer: Oregon’s Dangerous Approach to Protecting Commercial Speech,” 31 Willamette Law Rev. 685 (1995).
- Speaker, Risk Management and Defending Claims Before State Medical Boards, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, October 2016.
- Speaker, "Nuisance, Products, Mass Torts & Lessons Learned from A Civil Action, The Insider, & Erin Brockovich," Lewis Brisbois Webinar, May 2016
- Convention Chair, 2016 Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Annual Convention
- Speaker, “Preventing Legal Malpractice Claims,” Hartford/RiskPoint Insurance CLE Webinar, October 2015
- Director, 2014 Defense Practice Academy for Oregon Association of Defense Counsel.
- Speaker, “Seven Things that Get Podiatrists Sued,” Oregon Podiatric Medical Association Annual Meeting, October 2014.
- Moderator, “Discovery Lightning Round,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Annual Convention, June 2014.
- Speaker, Northwest Asbestos Litigation Conference, Tacoma, WA, June 2014.
- CLE Panel Moderator, “Effective Motion Practice, Advice from the Judges,” Multnomah County, OR, December 2013.
- Speaker, “Spoliation of Evidence in Oregon,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, June 2013.
- Speaker, “Personal Jurisdiction in Oregon Following Nicastro and Willemsen,” CLE presented by Oregon State Bar Products Liability and Litigation Sections, October 5, 2012.
- Speaker, “Seven Things That Get Insurance Agents Sued,” Oregon CPCU All Industry Day, 2010.
- Moderator, “Effective Use of Demonstrative Exhibits in Toxics Cases,” International Association of Defense Counsel Toxic Torts Webinar, April 2010.
- Speaker, “Lessons Learned from Representing Insurance Agents in Lawsuits,” PIA Oregon/Idaho Convention, June 2007.
- Speaker, “ABA Monograph on Product Warnings,” Oregon Law Section, Fall 2005.
- Speaker, “Challenging the Admissibility of Scientific Evidence,” Medical Negligence for Judges CLE, 2004.
- Speaker, “Standards for Challenging the Admissibility of Expert Testimony,” Medical Negligence for Multnomah County Judges CLE Seminar, 2003.
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Multnomah County Bar Association
Willamette University College of Law
Juris Doctor, first in class, 1996
- Associate Editor, Willamette Law Review
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 1992