- Email: Philip.O'Rourke@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1332
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Philip O’Rourke is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practice. His practice focuses on product liability, environmental and mass tort law. He is responsible for defending several hundred asbestos, chemical sensitivity and other toxic tort related cases throughout New York State and in Federal Court, many on behalf of Fortune 500 companies. As a litigator, Mr. O’Rourke has obtained numerous defense verdicts on behalf of his clients, and has successfully briefed and argued cases before the Appellate Division, New York State.
Mr. O’Rourke began his legal career over 20 years ago with the Bronx County District Attorney, where he became a member of the District Attorney’s Major Case Unit. While with Major Case, he tried several homicide and violent crime cases, and has substantial experience with long term investigations.
As a litigator since 1999, Mr. O’Rourke’s primary focus has been the cost efficient management of complex claims, reduction of burn rates, and the protection of corporate assets. He believes that a defendant who can and will try a case to verdict is more likely to achieve their desired result.
First Department, New York State
United States Court of Appeals
United States District Court
Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Florida, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia
- New York State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Awards & Honors
- In 2007, Mr. O’Rourke was selected to administer and coordinate the national asbestos liabilities for a heavy equipment manufacturer, for whom he also now serves as National Trial Counsel
- In 2008, he was selected as Coordinating Counsel for the Multi District Litigation defense of a chemical manufacturer faced with several hundred bodily injury and wrongful death claims in Federal Court
- In 2011, he was selected as the National Coordinating Counsel for an international adhesive and solvent manufacturer, for whom he also appears as Regional Trial Counsel
- In 2011, he was appointed a Vice-Chair of the Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practice
- In 2012, and in every year since, he was selected for inclusion on the New York Super Lawyers – Metro List
- In 2013, he was appointed as Co-Chair of the Asbestos Litigation Practice
Boston University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1992
University of Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts, 1986