- Email: Jon.Olafson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 303.562.9767
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Jon Olafson is an attorney in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Employment & Labor Practice.
Finding the right path, the right people, and the right result that matches the client’s overall goals is Jon’s guiding principle. Jon counsels business clients on a variety of regulatory and dispute resolution matters, largely based on the “who” of their business. In particular, Jon regularly counsels clients on their domestic and international trade secret protections and how to handle a situation when their trade secrets are threatened. As an employment law attorney, Jon works with his clients, both proactively and as a result of a particular incident, to navigate the “alphabet soup” of governmental regulatory agencies and statutes, including the EEOC, DOL, FAA, IRS, ADA, FLSA, FMLA, NLRB, and a host of others. In this role, Jon has worked with clients on drafting appropriate and narrowly-tailored policies, representing the client’s interests in large-scale federal and state audits, responding to EEOC complaints, resolving disputes before they become costly, and in representing clients in administrative agencies and in state and federal court. Jon also has extensive experience working with aviation clients in counseling and representing them in front of the Federal Aviation Administration on issues related to drones, airman certificates, testing, facilities and land usage, flight operations, and Pt. 16 investigations. Finally, Jon has extensive experience in helping clients resolve their commercial issues. While litigation is always an option, Jon will help the client identify all the potential various courses of action to resolve the dispute in the most efficient way that matches the client’s overall goals. Jon’s practice is not limited to any one industry, but he has particular experiences in the tech, staffing, government contract and defense, aviation, manufacturing and engineering, and real estate development industries.
Jon is also very involved in the community. He currently serves as the Co-Chair for the Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Section and serves as the Chair for the CBA CLE Labor and Employment Seminar to be held in Vail, Colorado on October 5-7, 2017. Jon also serves as the President of the Board for the Denver Philharmonic Orchestra and has been in that position since 2012. In his spare time, Jon enjoys hiking Colorado’s mountains and spending time outdoors with his dogs and friends. He is also an avid college sports fan, with his loyalties being with the University of North Dakota and Texas Tech University.
- Planning for International Trade Secret Protection, The National Law Review, Mar. 23, 2017.
- Marijuana and the Workplace: State Regulations Update: Marijuana Use and the Workplace, Employment Relations Today , Fall 2016, Vol. 43, Number 3.
- Defrosting your Solicitation and “Other Work” Policies: 4 Tips to NLRA Compliance, The National Law Review, Oct. 25, 2016.
- Five “Must-Haves” for Unpaid Internship Program, The National Law Review, June 14, 2016.
President, Denver Philharmonic Orchestra Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Mental Health Discrimination and the ADA, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Section Annual Conference, April, 2016.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems: Current Regulatory Framework, the Future, and Mitigating Risks, Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium, January, 2016.
- Avoiding Employer Liability under the Affordable Care Act, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, July, 2015 [forthcoming].
- Privacy in the Workplace, Colorado Bar Association Employment and Labor Law Section, January, 2015
- Throwing a Party — Employer Responsibilities, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, April, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act and Employment Law, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March2015
- Employer Premises Liability, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March, 2014
- Epic Battle: FAA v. IRS, Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium, January 2014
- The Nonprofit Board’s Legal Duties, Denver Non-Profit Leadership Forums, 2012-2013
- Colorado Non-compete Agreements and the Protection of Trade Secrets, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, August 2013
- Offer letters, Employment Agreements, and Non-compete Agreements, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March 2013
- Finding the Right Non-Profit, Colorado Law Week, 2013
- Finding the Right Clients, Colorado Bar Association Solo & Small Firm Practice Section, June 2012
- Texas Bar Association, 2001-present
- Colorado Bar Association, 2011-present
- Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, 2016-present
Awards & Honors
- Rising Star, Labor and Employment Law, Colorado Super Lawyers; 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Highest ranking of “Superb” (10/10), AVVO.com.