- Email: Jon.Olafson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 303.562.9767
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Jon Olafson is an partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice.
Finding the right path, the right people, and the right result that matches the client’s overall goals is Jon’s guiding principle. Jon counsels business clients on a variety of regulatory and dispute resolution matters, largely based on the “who” of their business or industry. In particular, Jon regularly counsels clients on their domestic and international trade secret protections, corporate espionage, data & cybersecurity, and how to handle situations where a client’s most valuable materials data are threatened by internal and external sources. Jon also counsels his clients other business-related disputes and helps clients understand the pros and cons of multiple courses of action to achieve their ultimate goals. Although Jon is an experienced commercial and corporate litigator, including the defense of class actions, Jon’s arsenal is not limited to litigation and he will narrowly tailor a plan specifically suited to your business’s specific needs.
Jon has worked with clients covering a broad span of industries including technology, government contracting, oil field services, drilling, manufacturing and engineering, investor-driven development, and entertainment. Jon also has extensive experience working with aviation clients in counseling and representing them in front of the Federal Aviation Administration on issues related to drones, airman certificates, testing, facilities and land usage, flight operations, and Pt. 16 investigations. Jon has extensive experiencing in working with both airports and those interested in economic development around an airport to find solutions that comply with federal regulations.
Jon is also very involved in the community. He currently serves as the Co-Chair for the Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Section and serves as the Chair for the CBA CLE Labor and Employment Seminar to be held in Vail, Colorado on October 5-7, 2017. Jon also serves as the President of the Board for the Denver Philharmonic Orchestra and has been in that position since 2012. In his spare time, Jon enjoys hiking Colorado’s mountains and spending time outdoors with his dogs and friends. He is also an avid college sports fan, with his loyalties being with the University of North Dakota and Texas Tech University.
Related Legal Alerts
- January 11, 2018 Jon Olafson to Speak at Aviation Symposium
- September 13, 2017 Lewis Brisbois to Sponsor Colo. Employment Law Conference
- Planning for International Trade Secret Protection, The National Law Review, Mar. 23, 2017.
- Marijuana and the Workplace: State Regulations Update: Marijuana Use and the Workplace, Employment Relations Today , Fall 2016, Vol. 43, Number 3.
- Defrosting your Solicitation and “Other Work” Policies: 4 Tips to NLRA Compliance, The National Law Review, Oct. 25, 2016.
- Five “Must-Haves” for Unpaid Internship Program, The National Law Review, June 14, 2016.
President, Denver Philharmonic Orchestra Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Mental Health Discrimination and the ADA, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Section Annual Conference, April, 2016.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems: Current Regulatory Framework, the Future, and Mitigating Risks, Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium, January, 2016.
- Avoiding Employer Liability under the Affordable Care Act, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, July, 2015 [forthcoming].
- Privacy in the Workplace, Colorado Bar Association Employment and Labor Law Section, January, 2015
- Throwing a Party — Employer Responsibilities, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, April, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act and Employment Law, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March2015
- Employer Premises Liability, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March, 2014
- Epic Battle: FAA v. IRS, Aviation Law and Insurance Symposium, January 2014
- The Nonprofit Board’s Legal Duties, Denver Non-Profit Leadership Forums, 2012-2013
- Colorado Non-compete Agreements and the Protection of Trade Secrets, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, August 2013
- Offer letters, Employment Agreements, and Non-compete Agreements, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, March 2013
- Finding the Right Non-Profit, Colorado Law Week, 2013
- Finding the Right Clients, Colorado Bar Association Solo & Small Firm Practice Section, June 2012
- Texas Bar Association, 2001-present
- Colorado Bar Association, 2011-present
- Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, 2016-present
Awards & Honors
- Rising Star, Labor and Employment Law, Colorado Super Lawyers; 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Highest ranking of “Superb” (10/10), AVVO.com.