- Email: George.Nowotny@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.7904
- Fax: 213.250.7900
George Nowotny is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and is co-chair of the National Healthcare Practice and chair of the firm’s Elder Law Practice.
Mr. Nowotny specializes in handling cases involving claims of “profits over patient care” and has obtained defense verdicts in several states including California, New York and Oregon, as well as in very diverse venues in California including San Francisco, Orange County and Compton. He has successfully tried cases against well known “Reptile Lawyers” from California, Florida, Texas and Washington. He is national Specialty Counsel for two large multistate insurance companies and the largest national Assisted Living Operator.
Mr. Nowotny has successfully obtained elder abuse/neglect defense verdicts on behalf of skilled nursing facilities, residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFE), and acute care hospitals. Mr. Nowotny presents seminars on trends in Elder Abuse litigation to attorneys, insurance claims analysts, long term care operators and management companies. He also has extensive experience representing all forms of healthcare providers in claims of medical negligence, securing defense verdicts on behalf of a wide range of medical specialist emergency room physicians, and acute care hospitals.
- Tried in excess of 50 jury trials
- Arbitrated in excess of 15 cases
- Mr. Nowotny has extensive experience in representing all forms of long-term care and healthcare providers in claims of alleged elder and dependent adult abuse.
- Mr. Nowotny has nearly 25 years experience representing a wide variety of physicians, medical groups and healthcare facilities in medical negligence and related claims.
- Mr. Nowotny also has extensive experience handling complex litigation matters involving products liability issues including vaccine litigation, Benzene litigation, Kava Kava litigation and Phen-Fen litigation.
- Representative clients include: AIG, FFIC, Chubb Executive Risk, Great American Insurance Group/American Empire, U.S. Risk, Beta Healthcare, CNA, ACE, Beverly Enterprises, Golden State Healthcare, Sun Mar Co., Hardi Nursing Home Management Co., Silverado Senior Living, Summerville Senior Living, Atria Senior Living, and Sunrise Senior Living.
- July 10, 2018 Calif. Court Reverses Order Denying Petition to Compel Arbitration
- February 06, 2018 George Nowotny Verdict Featured in Daily Journal
- Mock Trial “The Elopement Case” Continuing Life Communities, LLC and Propel Ins, March 31, 2016, Fullerton, CA
- ALF Claims and Risk Management Issues, Front Porch Executive Directors meeting, February 28, 2016, Burbank, CA
- Long Term Care Litigation Issues and Strategies, AIG Healthcare Malpractice Claims Department, January 8, 2014, San Francisco, CA
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform Annual Conf. Topic: “Point-Counter Point," November 17, 2012, Monterey, CA
- National Risk Retention Association (NRRA) 2012 Annual Conf. Topic: “Co-Workers to Co-Defendants," October 10, 2012, Pentagon City, VA Ritz Carlton
- FFIC LTC Underwriters Dept. Topic: “Skilled Nursing Facility Risk Management Issues," June 28, 2012, Chicago, IL
- American Empire/Great Western Co. Professional Claims Dept. Topic: “Elder Law Litigation Primary Issues and Current Trends," June 12, 2012, Cincinnati, OH
- Oakview at University Park (RCFG) Topic: “Fall Assessments, Interactions and Change of Condition Communications," February 2, 2012, Thousand Oaks, CA
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform Annual Conf. Topic: “Point – Counter Point," November 19, 2011, Monterey, CA
- Chartis Ins. Healthcare and LTC Claims and Underwriters Webinar Topic: “Managing Emerging Risk and Litigation in Long Term Care Facilities," May 12, 2011, Los Angeles, CA
- Front Porch Senior Living Quarterly Conf. Topic: “Lawsuit: How to Prevent & Defend," March 17, 2011, Burbank, CA
- Silverado Senior Living Panel Counsel Meeting Topic: “Risk Management Documentation & Charity Issues," September 22, 2010, Las Vegas, NV
- Atria Senior Living Topic: “Assisted Living Facility Litigation & Risk Management Overview," June 17, 2010, Louisville, KY
- FFIC Senior Living Claims Dept. Topic: “Senior Living Litigation Overview," July 8, 2009, Chicago, IL
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform Annual Conf. Topic: “Point – Counter Point," June 6, 2009, Long Beach, CA
- Generations Healthcare Quarterly Operations Conf. Topic: “Lawsuits: How to Prevent and Defend," May 28, 2009
- FFIC Senior Living Underwriters Meeting Topic: “An Overview of Elder Abuse Litigation," November 4, 2008, Novato, CA
- Front Porch Senior Living Executive Director Conf. Topic: “Lawsuits: How to Prevent and Defend," October 1, 2008, Claremont, CA
- Silverado Senior Living Quarterly Conf. Topic: “Risk Management Documentation and Charting Issues," August 4, 2008, Newport Beach, CA
- FFIC Long Term Care Claims Dept. Topic: “An Overview of Elder Abuse Litigation," June 11, 2008, Chicago, IL
- AIG Healthcare Claims Dept. Topic: “Why Elder Abuse is Not Medical Negligence," April 20, 2007, San Francisco, CA
- HCI National Risk Mgt. Conference - 2006 Annual Conference. Topic: Why Elder Abuse Is Not Medical Negligence, June 11, 2006, Las Vegas, NV
- California Advocates For Nursing Home Reform - 2006 Elder Law Conference. Topic: Point/Counterpoint: Plaintiff and Defense Views, May 12, 2006
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel - 45th Annual Seminar. Topic: Elder Abuse Litigation: Defense and Damage Control, February 2, 2006, Los Angeles, CA
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform - 2005 Elder Law Conference. Topic: Point/Counterpoint: Plaintiff and Defense Views, May 6-7, 2005 Monterey, CA
- California Healthcare Association (HCA) - 2004 Annual Conference. Topic: Using Documentation to Prevent Elder Abuse Litigation, October 22, 2004, Monterey Bay, CA
- U.S.C. Long Term Care Executive Luncheon - 2004 Annual Conference. Topic: Overview of Current Legal Environment and Risk Management in Long Term Care. Co-Presenters: Edward Schneider, M.D., Dean of USC Gerontology Center; Michael Thamer, Esq. and Carl Saltzman, M.S., J.D., Director of Risk Management, Longwood Management Corp. May 28, 2004, USC Campus
- Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) - 2004 Annual Conference. Topic: Liability Claims - Ruling out Unfavorable Rulings. May 7, 2004, Chicago, IL
- California Assisted Living Association (CALA) - 2003 Annual Conference. Topic: Risk Management for RCFE’s; The Role of the Assisted Living Director/Facility Nurse. November 3, 2003, Newport Beach, CA
- California Elder Law Litigation - An Advocate Guide - Sponsored by Continuing Education of the Bar of California (CEB). May 6, 2003, San Diego, CA, May 12, 2003, Irvine, CA, May 23, 2003, Los Angeles, CA
- Elder Abuse Litigation - Preparation, Mediation & Trial - Sponsored by Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI). January 9, 2003, Costa Mesa, CA, January 10, 2003, Los Angeles, CA
- Nursing Home Negligence Conference IV - Sponsored by Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI). Included Elder Law specialists from across the country. September 23-24, 2002, Las Vegas, NV
- Mediating Elder Abuse Claims - sponsored by the Los Angeles Superior Court ADR Committee and Southern California Mediation Association in Los Angeles, CA, May 7, 2002.
- Nursing Home Litigation Conference - sponsored by Mealey Publication & Conference Group in Marina Del Rey, CA - Topic, “Closing Argument in an Elder Abuse/Neglect Case,” January 28-29, 2002.
- California Elder Abuse Litigation - sponsored by Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI), in Los Angeles and Costa Mesa, CA, January 17 & 24, 2002.
- Early Resolution of Elder Abuse Disputes, “Views from Advocates and Neutrals” - sponsored by Judicate West in Los Angeles, CA, April 19, 2001.
- Litigation Under EDACPA - Sponsored by the Orange County Bar and the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association in Newport Beach, CA, April 24, 2000.
- Presents seminars on trends in elder abuse litigation to attorneys and in-service programs to staff members of skilled-nursing facilities, residential care facilities for the elderly and acute care hospitals throughout California.
- California Association of Health Care Facilities Attorney Forum
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
University of Arkansas
Juris Doctor, 1987
University of Edinburgh, Scotland UK,
Master of Laws in Jurisprudence, 1989
Southern Methodist University
Bachelor of Arts, 1983