- Email: Jeff.Kominsky@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 954.828.0372
- Fax: 954.728.1282
Jeffrey Kominsky is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice and General Liability Practice. Mr. Kominsky’s practice focuses on civil litigation matters, including medical malpractice and business litigation. Mr. Kominsky is experienced handling commercial disputes and business conflicts including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and civil theft.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Kominsky honed his legal skills while interning for the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington D.C. and the Civil Rights Section of the Office of the Ohio Attorney General.
A native of Florida, he founded the organization Students Take On Paralysis (STOP) which, in collaboration with the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, works to promote awareness of spinal cord injuries and help educate others in prevention methods. Based on his work with STOP, he created and taught a course on disability issues at the University of Michigan’s School of Nursing.
From 2002 through 2005, Mr. Kominsky interned with the Minnesota Vikings, reporting directly to former Vikings owner, Red McCombs. Mr. Kominsky’s interest in sports law/business continued into his studies at law school as the Founder & Chair of the Inaugural Sports Law Symposium at The Ohio State University. He currently serves as South Florida's Chapter President of the Florida Sports Law Association as well as a Regional member for the Sports Lawyers Association’s Outreach Committee.
In 2015, 2016 and 2017, Mr. Kominsky was recognized as a "Florida Rising Star" by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine.
- June 05, 2015 Break into Sports or Broke out of Sports?
Jeffrey L. Kominsky, Access Granted: Proxies and the SEC, 2 Ohio. St. Ent. Bus. L.J., 573 (2007).
- The Ohio State University, Founder & Chair, Sports Law Symposium, 2008
- University of Michigan, Founder & Teacher, Disability Issues: Focus on Spinal Cord Injury, 2004 to 2005
- Presenter, “Life of an Actual Sports Litigator”, University of Miami School of Law, September 2015
- “The Cost of Entertainment: A Comprehensive Look into the Cost of Sports & Entertainment in the Modern Era”, NSU Shepard Broad College of Law, February 2016
- Moderator, “Athletic Issues: Money, Fame, Power, & the Law”, University of Miami School of Law, September 2016
- Moderator, “21st Century AD: Managing College Sports in a Changing NCAA Landscape”, March 2017
- Panelist, “Breaking into the Industry”, NSU Shepard Broad College of Law, March 2017
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2010
- National Basketball Retired Players Association – Miami Chapter, Advisory Board Member, 2012 to present
- Sports Business & Leadership Association – South Florida Chapter, President, 2014 to present
- Broward County Bar Association, Member, 2010 to present
- Outreach Committee on the Sports Lawyers Association, Member, 2010 to present
- Silver Knight Alumni Network, Founding Board Member, 2009 to present
- Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis, Member, 2008 to present
- University of Miami Law School’s Entertainment & Sports Law Society Symposium, Sponsor, 2010
- University of Michigan Alumni Club of Miami/FTL, Sports Chair, 2015-2016
- Sports Lawyers Association, Florida Regional Captain for Outreach Committee & Member, 2008 to present
Awards & Honors
- Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal, Executive Editor, 2007 to 2008
- Miami Herald Silver Knight Award in Speech, 2001
- American Academy of Achievement Salute to Excellence Program, Recommended by Jerry McMorris, Former Chairman of the Board of the Colorado Rockies, 2001
- Florida Super Lawyers Magazine - Florida Rising Star 2015, 2016 & 2017
The Ohio State University
Juris Doctor, 2008
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Arts, 2005