- Email: Josh.Hodas@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5037
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Josh Hodas is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice. His practice focuses on copyright, patent and trademark advising and litigation, breach of contract and negligence litigation arising from software and hardware development, implementation and support contracts, start-up business formation, and drafting of development contracts, software licenses, SaaS subscription agreements, privacy policies and the like.
He has been involved in the computer industry since 1978 when he used his bar mitzvah money to purchase Apple II serial # 3318, and he worked on and off as a developer and consultant for 15 years until he obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Pennsylvania.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, he was a tenured associate professor of Computer Science at Harvey Mudd College and Director of that department’s “clinic” program of industry-funded development projects.
- June 05, 2015 Reassessing Options for Protecting IP Rights in Software Systems in the Wake of the Alice Decision
- August 20, 2013 Supreme Court Makes Landmark Decision On Copyright Case
- August 13, 2013 The Ends Don’t Justify The Beans: Patented Seeds’ Ability To Make New Seeds Belongs To The Patentee
- June 12, 2013 The End of Special Treatment for Exotic Imports Under Copyright Law?
- "Supreme Court Makes Landmark Decision On Copyright Case" Lewis Brisbois Publications August 2013
- "Supreme Court Makes Landmark Decision On Copyright Case" Lewis Brisbois Case Alert March 2013
- A Microsoft Win Could Benefit Other Defendants, with Rod Berman (National Law Journal, January 31, 2011)
- "Supreme Courts Issues Unanimous Ruling that Legal-Malpractice Claims Related to Patent Litigation Generally Belong in State Court" Lewis Brisbois Case Alert February 2013
- “Design Patents Are In The Spotlight Thanks to Apple v. Samsung” Lewis Brisbois IP Newsletter Fall 2012
- “Business Competitors' Use of Adwords” Lewis Brisbois IP Newsletter Summer 2102
- UCLA Journal of Law & Technology: Hack the Vote: The (in)Security of Electronic Voting Systems, January 5, 2004
- Scientific American, Ask the Experts: What is the Y2K Problem?, June 6, 1999
- Authored or co-authored over 15 technical papers in archival journals and refereed conference proceedings on topics related to logic, programming language design and implementation, electronic books, user interfaces, databases and artificial intelligence
- Patents: Electronic book with multimode I/O, with Neel Sundaresan, Jared Jackson, Walter Nissen and Brandon Duncan, U.S. PatentNo. 7.107, 533 (Granted September 12, 2006), rights assigned to IBM Corp
- Editorial Board, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Los Angeles Lawyer, 2011- Present
- Symposium Editor, UCLA Journal of Law and Technology, 2004-05, 2005-06
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Intellectual Property
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Logic Programming
- Society of Computer Aided Deduction
University of California, Los Angeles
Juris Doctor, 2006
University of Pennsylvania Department of Computer and Information Science
Masters of Science in Engineering, 1992
University of Pennsylvania Departments of Mathematics and Oriental Studies
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1985