- Email: Christopher.Heroux@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2022
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Chris Heroux is a partner in the Denver and Houston offices of Lewis Brisbois, and is Vice Chair of the National Corporate Practice Group. Mr. Heroux has a wide-ranging business and real estate practice across several industries.
A business-savvy attorney and trusted advisor to client business teams, Mr. Heroux represents local, national, and international businesses in the full range of business transactions and operations projects, including: mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures and project development; business formation and consulting; general corporate and business governance; capital formation; commercial and operations contracts; employment, contractor, and distribution agreements; vendor and customer agreements; master service and supply agreements; and lending and project finance.
In real estate, Mr. Heroux has significant experience in all phases of commercial real estate matters, including the purchase, sale, exchange, development, construction, financing, leasing, and management of commercial, retail, and industrial real estate. Mr. Heroux has also handled numerous tenant-in-common projects governed by Rev. Proc. 2022-22, and CMBS loan defeasance transactions.
In energy, Mr. Heroux represents oil, gas and mining companies in all aspects of their operations: business transactions and contracts; merger, acquisition, and sale agreements; participation, development, and leasing transactions; title examination; drilling and operating agreements; gathering, transportation, and terminal agreements; acquisition and transfer of water rights; fluid management and disposal services; and product purchase, sale, and processing agreements. Mr. Heroux has also worked with renewable energy developers on solar and wind projects from concept to commercial operation, including: site control; permitting and land use; project development, power purchase, and operational contracts; construction and EPC agreements; and tax equity financing.
In banking and finance, Mr. Heroux has experience in the formation of trust companies; mergers and acquisitions of state and national chartered banks; commercial lending including C&I, asset-based and specialty asset secured loans; loan participation agreements; project finance; lending regulatory matters; common trust fund products; and credit restructuring and workouts.
Mr. Heroux serves as adjunct professor at The University of Tulsa Collins College of Business School of Energy Economics, Policy, and Commerce, and is a regular speaker and instructor on a wide range of emerging natural resources topics.
Related Legal Alerts
- March 13, 2018 Lewis Brisbois Steers Capital Raise
- September 05, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Reps Oil and Gas Investor
- January 16, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Closes Oil & Gas Terminal Acquisitions
Mr. Heroux has worked earlier in his career at regional and national law firms in Denver, Tulsa, and Houston. He began his career as a trial attorney, and has extensive experience in handling oil and gas, business, real estate, and financial disputes.
- Represented family trust in sale of oil and gas production and service companies to U.S. public company for $526 million.
- Represented group of privately held oil and gas companies in connection with the acquisition, development, and sale of 300,000+ acres for horizontal drilling projects in Mississippi Lime in Oklahoma and Kansas, including asset sales to publicly traded major oil and gas companies and joint venture with private equity funds, having aggregate transaction value in excess of $300 million.
- Represented publicly traded MLP in Section 363 bankruptcy acquisition of oil and gas terminal assets in Oklahoma and Louisiana for $51 million.
- Represented family office in investment in STACK joint venture company and related PIPE investment in Canadian publicly traded E&P company for $23 million.
- Represented investor group in promoting 40,000+ acre wildcat development, including $22 million private placement agreements, participation and development agreements, and support for all phases of the project.
- Represented private investor group in connection with funding over $20 million for start-up saltwater disposal well company focusing on the Permian Basin in Texas, including limited partnership roll-up transactions, preparations for MLP offering, and ultimate sale of the assets.
- Represented publicly traded midstream energy company in pipeline right-of-way agreements, and oil purchase agreements, including negotiation of issues presented by the Sabine bankruptcy line case.
- Represented publicly traded MLP in negotiation of water disposal, processing, and transportation agreements.
- Represented publicly traded and private E&P companies in negotiation of oil and gas investments, joint operating agreements, and pooling agreements and proceedings in Oklahoma, Colorado, North Dakota, and Texas.
- Represented joint venture of privately held oil and gas companies in connection with acquisition and development of 100,000+ acre projects in Tuscaloosa Marine Shale in East Louisiana and Niobrara in Colorado.
- Represented U.S. drilling company in Master Consulting Agreement and Services Agreements with international project development company and Sonatrach, the Algerian national oil company.
- Represented privately held drilling company in liquidation and sale of assets, including drilling and workover rigs, and negotiated loan restructuring with secured lenders, and represented company in sales tax audits.
- Represented nationwide multifamily development companies in negotiating oil and gas leases in Barnett Shale in North Texas.
- Represented family ranch companies and real estate developers in negotiating oil and gas leases and surface use agreements in the Denver-Julesburg Basin, Colorado.
- Represented privately held energy companies in operations, including gas purchase and processing agreements, and sales of natural gas gathering systems in Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.
- Represented national bank in $55 million secured loan transactions with energy cogeneration company.
- Represented independent exploration and production companies and bank lenders in negotiation of secured operating lines of credit.
- Represented privately held hard mineral mining exploration and production company in acquisition, financing, and development transactions involving two placer gold mining operations in Alaska.
Voiles v. Santa Fe Minerals, Inc., 1996 OK 13, 911 P.2d 1205.
- “Six Oil and Gas Legal, Regulatory and Compliance Issues for 2016,” Oil + Gas Monitor (2016).
- “Fundamentals of Oil and Gas Leases,” Lorman Education Services National Course (2015).
- “Tax Free Exchange for Oil and Gas Assets: Using 1031 Exchanges to Maximize Profits, Investments and Tax Savings,” EUCI Course, Denver, Colorado (2014).
- “An Overview of the Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Act,” presented to the Sooner Association of Division Order Analysts, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2006 and 2007) and presented to the Natural Gas and Energy Association of Oklahoma, 2nd Annual Energy Law Seminar, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2006).
- “Negotiated Transactions: Purchase and Sale Agreements,” presented to the Natural Gas and Energy Association of Oklahoma, Acquisitions and Divestitures Seminar, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2005).
- “Allocation of Post-Production Costs”, Presented to Natural Gas and Energy Association of Oklahoma, 1st Annual Energy Law Seminar, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2005).
- “Document Retention and Destruction in Oklahoma - Business and Accounting Documents: Business Governance, Securities, Transactions, IRS and other Taxation Records”; Sterling Education Seminar, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2004).
- “The Evolution of the Oklahoma Gas Gathering Statute”, Presented to Tulsa Association of Lease and Title Analysts, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2004).
- “Commercial and Residential Evictions and Collecting Overdue Rent: Reducing Exposure to the Problem and Reclaiming Abandoned Property”; Sterling Education Seminar, Tulsa, Oklahoma (2004).
- “Post-Production Costs: Allocation to Royalty Interest”, Presented to National Association of Lease and Title Analysts, Galveston, Texas (2000).
- “Potpourri of Lease Clauses -- Minimum Royalty, Free Gas, Lease Ratification and Revivor”, Presented to National Association of Lease and Title Analysts, Dallas, Texas (1996).
- “Requirements and Pitfalls of the Uniform Unclaimed Property Act and Oklahoma Escheat Laws as Applied to Mineral Interests”, Presented to Tulsa Association of Lease and Title Analysts, Bartlesville, Oklahoma (1996).
- “When Should Oil and Gas Interests be Considered Securities?: A Case for the Industry Deal”, 34 South Texas L.J. 37 (1993), co-authored with Peter K. Reilly, re-printed in 30 Pub. Land and Res. Law Dig. 299 (1993).
- “A New Look at the 60 Day Clause?”, The Analytical Voice, (Tulsa Association of Lease and Title Analysts), Volume III, No. 2 (March 1991).
- “When Fundamental Rights Collide: Guinn v. Collinsville Church of Christ”, 21 Tulsa L.J. 157 (1985).
- Colorado Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Denver Bar Association (Natural Resources and Energy Section)
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section, Natural Resources and Environmental Law Section)
The University of Tulsa College of Law
Juris Doctor, with honors
Loyola University of Chicago
Bachelor of Arts