- Email: Alexander.Henlin@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 857.313.3930
- Fax: 857.313.3951
Alex Henlin is a partner in the Boston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Coverage Practice. He focuses his practice on complex insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes. A seasoned litigator, Alex also defends lenders and loan servicers in consumer claims.
Alex brings a litigator's perspective to his analysis of insurance coverage questions. He has deep familiarity with general liability, D&O, E&O, builder's risk, and professional liability policies. He has particular expertise with professional liability policies issued to broker-dealers, investment advisors, hedge funds, and private equity firms. He has successfully mediated, arbitrated, and litigated insurance coverage disputes to conclusion in several jurisdictions, including New York and California.
Additionally, Alex is intimately familiar with first-party insurance policies. He writes and speaks frequently on property insurance topics, and has litigated novel questions of coverage in both state and federal trial and appeals courts across the United States.
Alex also has several years' experience defending consumer financial claims against lenders and loan servicers. Alex has successfully defended his clients before both trial and appeals courts in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York, in addition to negotiating amicable resolutions to dozens of other claims.
Before joining the firm, Alex practiced with national and international firms in both Boston and New York.
- “Judicial Treatment of Coverage for Disgorgement and Restitution Settlements,” co-author, PLUS JOURNAL Vol. XXVIII No. 4 (Apr. 14, 2015).
- "Changing the Rules", co-author, BEST'S REVIEW (Nov. 2014)
- "Coverage for 'Additional Insureds' Under Subcontractor Liability Policies", co-author, WESTLAW JOURNAL - INSURANCE COVERAGE 23:29 (Apr. 26, 2013)
- "Preparing for Contingent Business Interruption Claims in the Wake of Superstorm Sandy", co-author, MEALEY'S LITIGATION REPORT: CATASTROPHIC LOSS 8:5 (Fe. 2013)
- "Cleaning Up in the Wake of a Ponzi Scheme: Insurance Coverage for Financial Crime Claims", co-author, BLOOMBERG LAW (Feb. 27, 2012)
- "The Strategic Importance of Rule 24: Judicious Use of Intervention to Assist in the Resolution of Insurance Coverage Cases", co-author, INSURANCE & REINSURANCE REVIEW (Sept. 2011)
- "Understanding Extra Expense", co-author, TORT TRIAL & INSURANCE PRACTICE LAW JOURNAL 45:1 (Fall 2009)
- Georgetown Club of Greater Boston
- American Legion New Hampshire Boys State (Staff)
Alex is an experienced litigator who strives to provide his clients with superior representation and pragmatic advice. He possesses a keen appreciation for the realities of the industries in which his clients conduct business.
- Presenter - “Current Issues Facing Directors & Officers and Their Insurers,” ARIAS-US (Dec. 2015 webinar)
- Speaker - "Current Trends in Property Reinsurance" - Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association Annual Symposium - Boston, MA (Oct. 2014)
- Presenter - "Coverage for a Ponzi Scheme?" - Professional Officers and Directors Liability Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association - Boston, MA (August 2014)
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court - Massachusetts
U.S. District Court - New Hampshire
U.S. District Court - New Jersey
U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association - Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Federal Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
Bachelor of Arts