- Email: Bill.Helfand@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.460.4614
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Bill Helfand is a partner in the Houston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice. One of the leading civil trial lawyers in Texas, Bill has amassed a significant record of success in the federal district and appellate courts in Texas as well as throughout the United States. He has tried well over 170 cases to juries and has also conducted many bench trials and arbitrations, many of which are of regional or national significance.
Bill's labor and employment law practice focuses on the defense of both public and private employers throughout Texas and the United States. He has achieved considerable success in the defense of labor and employment cases of all types, as well as significant success in commercial litigation matters through both trial and arbitration.
He is actively involved in labor, employment and civil rights and governmental liability training as well as training employers and managers, governmental officials and employees. He is frequently interviewed by various media and he speaks frequently on these topics to peer and professional groups such as the Texas State Bar, the Texas Municipal League and the Texas Council Risk Management Fund. In addition, he has served as an adjunct instructor for Sam Houston State University’s law enforcement and corrections management professional development programs.
Because of his significant trial experience and success, Bill has often been called upon to represent professionals of many disciplines in malpractice issues. This work has included defending fellow members of the bar in legal malpractice actions including through a legal malpractice insurance program administered by Westport, a General Electric affiliate company. As with other disputes, Bill has applied his knowledge, discretion, and experience to yield consistently prompt and cost-effective results for his professional clients and their firms.
- September 15, 2017 Bill Helfand, Norm Giles Named Appellate Lawyers of the Week
- March 31, 2017 Bill Helfand Quoted by Law360
- November 29, 2016 Bill Helfand, Norman Giles Win Supreme Court Reversal
Mr. Helfand is credited with over 200 reported opinions, many of national or regional jurisprudential significance.
- "Should employers include class-action waivers in their arbitration agreements?," Westlaw Journal Employment, January 10, 2012
- Contributing Chapter Author, "Responding to Changes in the FLSA and Other Employment Legislation," The Impact of Recent Regulatory Developments in Employment Law (Aspatore Books 2009).
- Contributing Chapter Author, "The Impact of Recent Regulatory Developments in Employment Law," Thomson Reuters Publishing, 2009.
- “When Free Speech Isn’t,” The Corporate Counsel, July 2005.
- “Free Speech is Not Always Free: Employee Speech Has Its Limits,” Houston Business Journal, April 2005.
Certified as a Texas Mediator in 1992
- Former Scoutmaster, Troop 55, St. John the Divine Episcopal Church, Houston, Texas
- Volunteer Pilot for Angel Flight, Pilots and Paws, and Veteran's Airlift Command
United States Supreme Court
United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
Awards & Honors
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- The Insurance Bar Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys
- Who’s Who Among American Lawyers
- Texas Magazine’s Texas Super Lawyer
Tulane University College of Law
Juris Doctor with Honors, 1987
Tulane University College of Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Arts, 1984