- Email: Jefferson.Hayden@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 602.385.7859
- Fax: 602.385.1051
Jefferson Hayden is an associate in the Phoenix office and a member of the Commercial Litigation Practice. His practice is concentrated in commercial and healthcare litigation with emphasis on real estate and title litigation and medical malpractice defense. He has experience in a wide range of matters in state and federal courts, in addition to experience handling matters through alternative dispute forums including arbitration, mediation and settlement conferences. Through his broad array of experience, Jefferson helps his clients reach beneficial and cost effective solutions to a variety of complex legal issues.
In the real estate context, Jefferson helps a wide array of clients protect and enforce their rights relating to both personal and commercial property. Jefferson is a member of the firm's real estate litigation group and works with title and escrow companies, to prosecute or defend actions on behalf of either the company or their insureds representing banks, businesses and individuals in a wide array of real estate disputes. He has experience in real estate matters involving title disputes, title curative actions, quiet title actions, escrow or title company liability defense, disclosure disputes, adverse possession claims, easement disputes, boundary disputes, trustee sale and foreclosure disputes, wrongful recordation, declaratory judgment actions, residential eviction actions, commercial forcible entry and detainer actions and lease agreement disputes.
For his healthcare practice, Jefferson has assisted medical professionals both in defense against allegations of malpractice and with defense or prosecution of their legal rights in a commercial context. Jefferson is a member of the firm's healthcare services practice group. He primarily focuses on medical negligence defense of physicians, dentists, nurses, hospitals, laboratories and other professionals in malpractice cases. In addition, he provides guidance and assistance for health care professionals responding to civil or criminal subpoenas.
Jefferson also has experience in a wide variety of complex litigation including representation of a national pharmaceutical company in federal court multi-district litigation product liability defense, benefits providers in ERISA health benefit class action defense, an international real estate brokerage company in defending federal trademark infringement claims, and an Arizona corporation's internal investigation and subsequent prosecution of executives for financial misconduct.
In addition, Jefferson has gained experience in other litigation and advisory contexts, including the defense of individuals accused of both felony and misdemeanor criminal conduct, issues relating to Arizona liquor law and the Arizona Department of Liquor, assisting veterans with a variety of legal issues and assisting underprivileged citizens with obtaining guardianship rights over their incapacitated adult children.
- St. Louis County Public Defender, Washington University Clinical Intern
- Mayo Clinic Arizona Legal Department, Legal Intern
"Social Media Concerns Potentially Affecting Arizona's Real Estate Industry," Author, Snell & Wilmer Real Estate Litigation Blog (September 12, 2014)
- Defended a national bank in federal and state court litigation challenging validity of foreclosure proceedings.
- Defended regional financial institution from state and federal claims of misconduct relating to issuance of a corporate credit card.
- Represented real estate development companies in wrongful recordation and quiet title litigation.
- Represented restaurants and business owners in lease restructuring disputes.
- Defended international real estate brokerage company in trademark infringement and breach of contract dispute.
- Represented residential housing clients in pursuing eviction of tenants for failure to comply with terms of applicable leases, health and safety violations, or risk of irreparable harm.
- Defended major health care institution in putative class action arising out of alleged improperly withheld health care benefits.
- Defended clinical research company in wrongful death litigation.
- Defended national blood testing laboratory in medical malpractice action.
- Defend national franchisor in litigation relating to disputes with area directors and franchisees.
- Represented international corporation plaintiffs in breach of contract and collections matters.
- Represented corporation during internal investigation of criminal conduct by executive and subsequent criminal prosecution and conviction.
- Represent individuals and companies in criminal proceedings brought by state or local authorities.
- Assist individuals and corporations in obtaining orders of protection.
- "Clinical Ethics and Medical Jurisprudence," Guest Lecturer, Midwestern University, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine and College of Health Sciences, 2011-present
- "Social Media & the Law," Presenter, Snell & Wilmer Annual Retreat, 2014
The Arizona Supreme Court
The United States District Court for the District of Arizona
The United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Arizona Asian American Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Scottsdale League for the Arts, 2012-present
- Board of Directors, 2013-present
- Membership Committee Chairman, 2013-present, Treasurer, 2015
- Sponsorship Committee Co-Chair Elect
- Grants Committee Member, 2013
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Missouri, 2005-2008
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona, 2002-2005
- Volunteer Lawyers Program of Arizona
Awards & Honors
Southwest Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, Business Litigation, 2015 and 2016
Washington University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2008
- Washington University Law Review
Arizona State University
Bachelor of Science, 2005
Bachelor of Science in Operation Research and Industrial Engineering, 2002