- Email: Courtney.Hasselberg@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 714.966.3123
- Fax: 714.850.1030
Courtney A. Hasselberg is a partner in the Orange County office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Employment & Labor Practice. Ms. Hasselberg represents businesses nationally and in California for employment-related matters. Ms. Hasselberg has handled litigation involving claims of harassment, discrimination, whistleblowing, unfair labor practices and wage and hour issues, including class action and multi-plaintiff cases. Ms. Hasselberg also counsels businesses on avoiding employment-related litigation and on national and California employment-related compliance matters. She has represented corporate clients of all sizes, from small, locally-owned businesses to multi-national corporations, in federal and state courts and alternative tribunals throughout the country.
Ms. Hasselberg has achieved successful results for clients at every stage of litigation, including motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, trial and arbitration, and upon appellate review. In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Hasselberg has handled corporate governance and transactional matters, and routinely deals with a variety of administrative agencies at all levels of government in connection with her representation of clients. She has represented employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, and several state and local civil rights agencies, including the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Ms. Hasselberg served as a judicial law clerk for the late Hon. Floyd R. Gibson, U. S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit. Following her clerkship, Ms. Hasselberg practiced law in Kansas City, Missouri, with an emphasis on employment and commercial trial litigation. Ms. Hasselberg relocated to California in 2013.
Prior to beginning private practice, Courtney clerked for the Honorable Floyd R. Gibson, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- Part of trial team that achieved one of Missouri's top defense verdicts in 2012 in a commercial litigation dispute which involved claims of fraudulent misrepresentation and inducement against a Fortune 500 company.
- Successfully defended a regional utility company in arbitration involving claims of wrongful discharge.
- Obtained summary judgment in Iowa federal court for large regional transportation company on employment claims involving allegations of national origin discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud and breach of contract claims brought against a global real estate brokerage firm in California state court.
- Successfully compelled arbitration in a case alleging sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended judgment on appeal for one of the largest software companies in the United States.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended judgment on appeal for a national retail chain.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Top Defense Verdicts of 2012, Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2012)
- Labor and Employment, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer (2011-2012)
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Attorneys (2007-2012)
- President’s Award, Association for Women Lawyers, Kansas City Chapter (2007)
- President’s Award, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section (2004)
University of Missouri – Kansas City
Juris Doctor with Distinction
- Order of the Bench and Robe
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award
- UMKC Law Review, Published Member
University of Missouri – Kansas City
Masters of Arts, History
William Jewell College
Bachelor Of Arts, summa cum laude