- Email: Steven.Gatley@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.3977
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Steven Gatley is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Labor & Employment Practice. He specializes in employment law exclusively representing employers. He has extensive experience with employment and labor litigation before state and federal courts, as well as various administrative agencies such as the California Fair Employment and Housing Commission, the United States Equal Opportunity Commission, the California State Labor Commissioner, and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board (EDD).
His areas of concentration include wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination and wage issues. Mr. Gatley also represents employers in wage and hour matters including class action cases. Mr. Gatley’s clients include cities, counties, corporations, small businesses, nonprofit entities, educational entities, hotels, financial institutions, religious organizations, automobile dealerships and collision centers, airlines and Fortune 100 and 500 companies. Mr. Gatley is also national employment counsel for a large security company.
Mr. Gatley also specializes in representing clients in the healthcare industry including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living programs, and physicians.
Mr. Gatley provides consulting in the following areas: Fair Employment and Housing Act; Americans with Disabilities Act; Family and Medical Leave Act; California Family Leave Act; compensation and benefits; wage and hour, prevailing wages; workplace violence; Title VII; Discrimination and Employment Act; privacy issues; substance abuse and testing; retaliation; Occupational Safety and Health Act; whistle-blowing; reduction in force (RIF), Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organization Act (RICO) and unemployment benefits, including tax and penalty issues.
Mr. Gatley also presents employee management training seminars and topics. In addition, he develops, reviews and implements employment procedures, policies and agreements, and conducts internal investigations and resolution of claims. He works closely with his clients on key employment issues including at-will employment, employment handbook and policies, arbitration/non-competition agreements, employee substance abuse, employee privacy and breach of contract. Mr. Gatley also counsels clients regarding terminations and lay-offs.
Mr. Gatley frequently lectures to human resource managers and management personnel throughout California on a variety of employment topics.
Mr. Gatley’s practice also focuses on commercial and complex business litigation defense. He has represented numerous clients dealing with director and officer liability disputes. Mr. Gatley has represented and counseled clients in a variety of industries, including hotel and hospitality, manufacturing, home security, retail, restaurant, real estate, concert promotions, homeowners’ associations, aviation, finance, automotive, medical and health care, technology and construction.
Mr. Gatley is a member of the Firm’s Korean and Litigation Group and has extensive experience representing a variety of Korean-owned businesses.
Related Webinars & Seminars
- August 30, 2018 2018 Sacramento Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar
- Twelve Superior Court Trials
- Over 1,500 depositions
- Over 750 arbitrations/mediations
- California Supreme Court Success: Granados v. Kizyma Electric
- Mr. Gatley represented Kizyma Electric arising out of a claim for prevailing wages. Kizyma was an electrical subcontractor on a public works project. Eight of the employees sued Kizyma in Superior Court claiming they were improperly classified and not paid the proper prevailing wages. At the commencement of their employment, each employee signed a written arbitration agreement. Mr Gatley filed a motion to compel private binding arbitration. The case was finally decided by the California Supreme Court. (Companion case to Little v. Auto Stiegler). The Supreme Court ruled in Mr. Gatley’s favor ordering the employees to private binding arbitration.
Mr. Gatley has been the Editor-in-Chief of the Lewis Brisbois employment newsletter since 2003. He also is a regular contributing author to Collector’s Ink magazine. Mr. Gatley has authored and edited hundreds of employment-related articles.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Pro bono attorney for the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law assisting victims of domestic violence and improving the welfare of children. Mr. Gatley also volunteered at the Los Angeles Court's Domestic Violence Assistance Program.
- Webinar-Employment Law-Changes That Effect All Employers-2018
- Employment and Base and Hour Issues-Korean American CPA Society-2018
- Orange County Annual Employment Seminar-2018
- Sacramento Annual Employment Seminar-2018
- Los Angeles Annual Employment Seminar-2018
- Webinar-Employment Law Update-2018
- AHRA Convention-Seattle, WA-Recent Employment Trends in the Aviation Industry, 2017
- Organizer and Speaker-Annual Lewis Brisbois Employment Seminar (Orange County), 2017
- Organizer and Speaker-Annual Lewis Brisbois Employment Seminar (Sacramento), 2017
- La Verne School of Law Moot Court Competition Judge, 2016
- Lewis Brisbois National Webinar, "Recent Trends in Employment Law", 2016
- Lewis Brisbois Annual Employment Seminar, 2015
- Hanover Insurance-Current Employment Law issues, 2015
- KAMA-California's New Paid Sick Leave, 2015
- Korean American Manufacturers Association-Harassment, Anti-Bullying and Paid Sick Leave Seminar, 2015
- New Century Insurance Service Harassment Seminar, 2015
- Webinar - "Potential Employment Landmines of Social Media", 2015
- KAIFPA Convention, 2014
- QBE Insurance-Special Employer Rules, 2014
- Hanover Insurance-Nuts and Bolts of Employment Litigation, 2014
- Korean Trade Association-Wage and Hour 2013
- Lewis Brisbois Annual Los Angeles Employment Seminar, 2013
- Beverly Hills Bar Association-Termination Pitfalls Seminar, 2013
- Lewis Brisbois Annual Employment Law Seminar, 2012
- Lewis Brisbois Annual Employment Law Seminar, 2011
- Lewis Brisbois Annual Employment Law Seminar, 2010
- Beverly Hills Bar Association Privacy Rights of Employees Seminar, 2010
- GeoTek Employment Law Seminar, Las Vegas, NV 2010
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Eastern District of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
United States Supreme Court
Loyola Law School
Juris Doctor, 1991
University of California at Santa Barbara
Bachelor of Arts, 1988