- Email: Michael.Connally@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 714.668.5514
- Fax: 714.850.1030
Michael Connally is a partner in the Orange County office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Bad Faith Litigation, Insurance Coverage and Appellate Practices.
His cases primarily include the following:
- Appellate Law
- Insurance Bad Faith and Coverage
- Defense of religious organizations
- Real property and title disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Large subrogation actions
Mr. Connally litigates insurance bad faith lawsuits, real property and title disputes, claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, defamation, discrimination and other employee/employer tort claims, disputes over corporate, structure, premises liability claims against religious organizations, and cases involving eminent domain.
- Moradi-Shalal v. Fireman's Fund Insurance (1988) 46 Cal.3d 287 [Amicus brief filed for Safeco Title Insurance Company regarding third party insurance statutory bad faith].
- Isaacson v. California Insurance Guaranty Association (1988) 44 Cal.3d 775 [Amicus brief filed for California Land Title Association regarding insurance bad faith and duty to settle].
- Redevelopment Agency of the City of Burbank v. Gilmore (1985) 38 Cal.3d 790 [Amicus brief filed for Boy Scouts of America, holding that condemnees are entitled to prejudgment interest at a market rate on condemnation awards].
- Aetna Life & Casualty Co. v. City of Los Angeles (1985) 170 Cal.App.3d 865 [Inverse condemnation subrogation case holding, for the first time, that fire damage can give rise to eminent domain liability and requiring prejudgment interest at a market rate in inverse condemnation cases].
- U.S.F.& G. v. Superior Court (1988) 204 Cal. App.3d 1513 [Civil Code section 2860 and an insured’s rights to independent counsel].
- Native Sun v. Ticor Title (1987) 189 Cal.App.3d 1265 [Title insurance company’s duties and obligations].
- Textron Financial Corp. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co. (2004) 118 Cal.App.4th 1061 [Punitive damage award found to be excessive, violating the federal Constitution's due process clause].
- Ohio Casualty Ins. Co. v. Garamendi (California Fair Plan Assn.) (2006) 137 Cal.App.4th 64 [affirmed Insurance Commissioner’s order interpreting California FAIR Plan’s statutory participation rule and $3,103,153 assessment in favor of Mr. Connally’s client].
- Jonkey v. Carignan Construction Co. (2006) 139 Cal.App.4th 20 [affirmed defense verdict in favor of Mr. Connally’s client on personal injury claim].
State Bar of California, 1981
United States District Court - All Districts of California, 1981-1982
United States Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit, 1982
United States Supreme Court, 1990
Orange County Bar Association - Appellate and Insurance Law Sections
Awards & Honors
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, National Moot Court Competition, 1980-81
- Loyola Trial Advocacy Competition, first place, Fall 1980
- Scott Moot Court Honors Program, first place, 1979-80
- "Best Overall Advocate," Scott Moot Court Honors Program, 1979-80
- Winner of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award
- Winner of the West Publishing Company Award
- Chief Justice, Scott Moot Court Honors Program, 1980-81
Loyola University Law School
Juris Doctor, 1981
Loyola Marymount University
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 1978