- Email: Michael.Connally@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 714.668.5514
- Fax: 714.850.1030
Michael Connally is a partner in the Orange County office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Bad Faith Litigation, Insurance Coverage and Appellate Practices.
His cases primarily include the following:
- Appellate Law
- Insurance Bad Faith and Coverage
- Defense of religious organizations
- Real property and title disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Large subrogation actions
Mr. Connally litigates insurance bad faith lawsuits, real property, and title disputes. He also defends religious organizations against claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, defamation, discrimination and other employee/employer tort claims, disputes over corporate, structure, and premises liability. He also has litigated cases involving eminent domain, including both direct and inverse condemnation.
- Moradi-Shalal v. Fireman's Fund Insurance (1988) 46 Cal.3d 287 [Amicus brief filed for Safeco Title Insurance Company regarding third party insurance statutory bad faith].
- Isaacson v. California Insurance Guaranty Association (1988) 44 Cal.3d 775 [Amicus brief filed for California Land Title Association regarding insurance bad faith and duty to settle].
- Redevelopment Agency of the City of Burbank v. Gilmore (1985) 38 Cal.3d 790 [Amicus brief filed for Boy Scouts of America, holding that condemnees are entitled to prejudgment interest at a market rate on condemnation awards].
- Aetna Life & Casualty Co. v. City of Los Angeles (1985) 170 Cal.App.3d 865 [Inverse condemnation subrogation case holding, for the first time, that fire damage can give rise to eminent domain liability and requiring prejudgment interest at a market rate in inverse condemnation cases].
- U.S.F.& G. v. Superior Court (1988) 204 Cal. App.3d 1513 [Civil Code section 2860 and an insured’s rights to independent counsel].
- Native Sun v. Ticor Title (1987) 189 Cal.App.3d 1265 [Title insurance company’s duties and obligations].
- Textron Financial Corp. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co. (2004) 118 Cal.App.4th 1061 [Punitive damage award found to be excessive, violating the federal Constitution's due process clause].
- Ohio Casualty Ins. Co. v. Garamendi (California Fair Plan Assn.) (2006) 137 Cal.App.4th 64 [affirmed Insurance Commissioner’s order interpreting California FAIR Plan’s statutory participation rule and $3,103,153 assessment in favor of Mr. Connally’s client].
- Jonkey v. Carignan Construction Co. (2006) 139 Cal.App.4th 20 [affirmed defense verdict in favor of Mr. Connally’s client on personal injury claim].
State Bar of California, 1981
United States District Court - All Districts of California, 1981-1982
United States Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit, 1982
United States Supreme Court, 1990
Orange County Bar Association - Appellate and Insurance Law Sections
Awards & Honors
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, National Moot Court Competition, 1980-81
- Loyola Trial Advocacy Competition, first place, Fall 1980
- Scott Moot Court Honors Program, first place, 1979-80
- "Best Overall Advocate," Scott Moot Court Honors Program, 1979-80
- Winner of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award
- Winner of the West Publishing Company Award
- Chief Justice, Scott Moot Court Honors Program, 1980-81
Loyola Law School
Juris Doctor, 1981
Loyola Marymount University
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 1978