- Email: Marc.Carlton@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 971.712.2812
- Fax: 971.712.2801
Marc Carlton is a partner in the Portland office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Transportation, Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation, Products Liability, and General Liability Practices. He focuses his practice on civil litigation with an emphasis in defending transportation, liquor liability, employment, and products liability cases, including the defense of former manufacturers and sellers of asbestos-containing products. He also practices in the area of medical device and business litigation. Mr. Carlton was named a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine in 2015 and 2017 as well as a Rising Star in 2012 and 2013.
- August 01, 2016 Class Action & Mass Tort Newsletter: Volume 1 - August 1, 2016
- CourtCare, Volunteers of America in partnership with the Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Transportation Association
- American Trucking Association
- Miller v. J-M Manufacturing Company, Inc., et al., United States District Court (OR) Case No. 05-CV-01540-ST. Obtained a defense verdict for a flatbed carrier and its driver in a case arising out of an accident that occurred when a large sewer pipe telescoped and fell off the back of the clients’ flatbed trailer. The pipe was struck by an elderly couple in a motorhome, who each later underwent multiple back surgeries. The defense verdict was based on a showing that the driver had complied with all FMSCA load securement and load check requirements, and that the pipe unexpectedly came loose due to inadequate dunnage supplied by the shipper.
- Roggow v. Harr, et al., United States District Court (OR) Case No. 11-CV-01540-ST. Represented tanker carrier and its driver in a lawsuit arising out of an accident where the clients’ empty trailer allegedly slid over the yellow center line while negotiating a bend in the road and collided with SUV traveling in the opposite direction. The plaintiff claimed various injuries, including a traumatic brain injury with permanency.
- Ed Niemi Oil Company v. Exxon Mobil, United States District Court (OR) Case No. 11-CV-00214-MO. Represented the former owner of petroleum bulk plant at the Port of Astoria in cost recovery action filed by the tenant/operator. Tenant/operator sought to recover investigation and remediation expenses and legal fees incurred in responding to Oregon DEQ’s unilateral order.
- Simpson v. TA Operating, LLC, Multnomah County Circuit Court Case No. 1110-13174. Represented travel center and its repair facility in a claim for negligence and products liability arising out of service performed on a heavy haul flatbed trailer. Plaintiff alleged that the client’s mechanic should have diagnosed a failing wheel seal, and that the seal ultimately failed and caused a wheel fire. Plaintiff was injured when the tire exploded while he was trying to extinguish the fire.
- Monterroso v. Stanton, et al.,Multnomah County Circuit Court Case No. 1310-14583. Represented car hauler and its driver in a series of cases, including Monterroso, arising out a collision between the clients’ tractor and an occupied light rail train.
- Shill v. Kendall, et al., Multnomah County Circuit Court Case No. 14CV07203. Represented car hauler and its driver in lawsuit arising out a sideswipe accident. Plaintiff alleged that the force of the impact caused permanent and disabling injuries, including the need for a cervical fusion.
- State Farm v. Robert Manufacturing, Clackamas County Circuit Court Case No. CV 03090507. Represented manufacturer of water lines for residential and commercial use in a series of product liability cases arising out of the alleged failure of the lines.
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute (Asbestos Section)
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Oregon State Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Washington State Bar Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
University of Oregon School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1999
University of Oregon
Bachelor of Science, 1996