- Email: Rachel.Canfield@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 215.977.4066
- Fax: 786.513.2249
Rachel Canfield is an associate in the Miami office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. She is an accomplished lawyer who has served on numerous trial and appellate teams in high-stakes cases. Her practice focuses on all aspects of civil litigation, including complex commercial litigation, products liability, premises liability, wrongful death, catastrophic injury and insurance coverage through all stages of litigation, including pre-trial case management and motion practice, trial and post-trial strategy and motion practice, and appeals.
Rachel has served on numerous trial teams that obtained defense verdicts in jury trials involving compensatory and punitive damages claims.
Rachel also has extensive procedural and substantive appellate experience in both state and federal courts, ranging from product liability litigation, constitutional litigation, breach of contract litigation, land-use and environmental disputes and litigation, securities litigation and bankruptcy appeals. She has developed winning appellate strategy and argument in a number of high-stakes appeals.
In addition, Rachel has experience with extraordinary writ petitions to invoke original jurisdiction.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois, Rachel handled complex civil defense trials and appeals for on a variety of substantive legal issues in both state and federal courts. Prior to that, Rachel was a judicial law clerk for Justice James E.C. Perry and a judicial intern for Chief Justice Jorge Labarga of the Supreme Court of Florida, where she assisted with numerous state civil and criminal appeals.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel Canfield, Because of "Winn-Dixie"?: Uncertainty over ADA's Applicability to Websites Deepens, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), July 11, 2017.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, Supreme Court Addresses Judges' Inherent Sanction Authority in "Goodyear v. Haeger," The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), April 26, 2017.
- Florida Appeals Court Upholds Defense Verdict in Smoker Suit, Law360, October 19, 2016.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, Supreme Court Observations: Tyson Foods, Inc. v. Bouaphakeo, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), April 13, 2016.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, The Future of Class-Action Litigation in a Post-Scalia World, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), March 10, 2016.
- Rachel A. Canfield, A Brave New Appellate E-World, 90:1 Fla. Bar J., Jan. 2016, at 75.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, DirecTV Inc. v. Imburgia: The Supreme Court’s Latest Word on Arbitration and Federal Preemption, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), Dec. 22, 2015.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, District Court Tosses $15 Billion Facebook Tracking Class Action, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), Nov. 4, 2015.
- Fla. Court Remands $12M Engle Award To Apply Shared Fault, Law360, July 31, 2015.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, Ninth Circuit Limits CAFA’s “Single Local Event” Exception and Broadens Removal of Mass Actions, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), June 9, 2015.
- Frank Cruz-Alvarez & Rachel A. Canfield, Ninth Circuit Thwarts Plaintiffs' Efforts to Evade Removal Under CAFA, The Legal Pulse (Washington Legal Foundation), Dec. 1, 2014.
- Object Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: Demonstrating Fundamental Error in Civil Appeals, The Florida Bar Journal, Sep. 2014.
- Chapter 2: Appellate Practice, in Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation (American Bar Association 2014); credited for research and writing.
- Legislator and Aide Can Claim Privilege, Daily Business Review, 2012.
- Guest Roundtable Leader, "Goodyear v. Haeger", ABA Regional Appellate Seminar (2017).
- Guest Lecturer, Impediments to the Appellate Process, St. Thomas University School of Law (2013).
- Lecturer, Stays in Appellate Proceedings, CLE Presentation for the Appellate Practice Section, The Florida Bar (2013).
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Mentorship Program, Mentor and Liaison to St. Thomas University School of Law
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Rosemary Barkett Appellate American Inn of Court
- The Florida Bar, Appellate Practice and Advocacy Section
Awards & Honors
Rachel has consistently been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers (2015, 2016, 2017) for her work and has provided pro bono services to matters involving children in neglect and abuse cases and incarcerated juveniles in juvenile resentencing cases.
St. Thomas University School of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2009
- Chief Justice Jorge Labarga of the Supreme Court of Florida, Judicial Intern (2009)
- Outstanding Public Service Award (2009)
- Dean's Merit Scholar (2007-2009)
- The Hon. Paul L. Backman, Broward County, Judicial Intern (2008)
- Trial Advocacy Excellence Award, Florida Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (2008)
- Best Student Award, Constitutional Law (2007)
- Miami Dade Office of the State Attorney, Legal Intern (2007)
- St. Thomas University School of Law, Active Learning Instructor – Civil Procedure
- St. Thomas Law Review, Articles Solicitation, Editor
University of Miami
Bachelor of Arts, 2009