- Email: Kendall.Canfield@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 618.307.7618
- Fax: 618.692.6099
Kendall Canfield is an associate in the Madison County, Illinois office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. His practice areas include general civil litigation, asbestos litigation, insurance coverage, including first party property claims, arson fraud litigation, underinsured motorist claims and uninsured motorist claims, as well as construction defect litigation.
Mr. Canfield has represented businesses, individuals, and insurance carriers in both state and federal courts. He has experience in all phases of litigation and has prepared and won numerous dispositive motions. Additionally, Mr. Canfield has extensive experience assisting insurance carriers with coverage matters including advising them during insurance fraud investigations and conducting examinations under oath. He is also experienced in preparing coverage opinions on a wide variety of issues including first party property coverage and underinsured motorist coverage.
Mr. Canfield received his Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude from the University of Missouri-Saint Louis and his Juris Doctor from Saint Louis University School of Law. Prior to entering practice, Mr. Canfield logged over 5,000 hours in the field as a carpenter, which gives him unique insights when handling construction related matters. Additionally, he worked for many years in a variety of capacities in the retail loss prevention field dealing with a range of issues including investigating numerous types of fraud and theft, as well as interrogating dishonest employees.
- Auto-Owners Insurance Company v. Beck, 3:16-cv-00555-DRH-RJD (S.D.IL March 8, 2018) – granting summary judgement in declaratory judgment action on issue of setoff for amounts collected from at fault driver in in context of multiple underinsured motorist claims for single accident.
- Smith v. Zurich Am. Ins. Co., et. al., No. 4:16CV00187 ERW, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 116796 (E.D. Mo. July 26, 2017) – granting summary judgment as to plaintiff’s claim for $25,000,000 in claimed coverage on excess policy and holding zero coverage applied to claimed injury.
- Lawrence Foreman et. al. v. A.O. Smith Corp. et. al., 1322-CC00424 (St. Louis City) – assisted in procuring dismissal with prejudice on first day of trial via motion to dismiss pursuant to prior release.
- Harold E. Weter v. 3M Company, et. al., 1322-CC00821 (St. Louis City) – member of trial team that successfully procured dismissal with prejudice on first day of trial.
- Joseph Kehrer, et. al. v. Steck-Cooper & Co., et. al., Case No. 13 L 24 (Clinton County, IL) – successfully won summary judgment as to plaintiff’s claim for prejudgment interest in professional liability claim against insurance broker.
- Wible v. Borgwarner Morse Tec., Inc., et. al, 12-L-000562 (Madison County, IL) – successfully won motion for application of Indiana statute of repose and corresponding motion for summary judgment in asbestos related lawsuit.
- Ullrich v. Owners Ins. Co., Slip Copy, 2013 WL 2111667 (W.D. Mo. 2013) – granting summary judgment on issue of stacking of underinsured motorist coverage and limiting plaintiff to $300,000 in coverage from $1,200,000 in claimed coverage.
- Ullrich v. Owners Ins. Co., 12-3370-CV-S-ODS (W.D. Mo.) – won motion to dismiss, with prejudice, plaintiff's punitive damages claim based on bad faith.
- Capra v. Owners Insurance Co., 11-4021-JTM (D. Kan.) – successfully used policy's "wear and tear" exclusion to defeat plaintiff's motion for partial summary judgment and also successfully won partial summary judgment as to a substantial portion of plaintiff's claims for coverage for theft and his entire loss of business income claim.
Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
Federal District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Federal District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court - Associate Member
Saint Louis University School of Law
Juris Doctor, certificate in Labor and Employment law, 2011
University of Missouri - Saint Louis
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2008