- Email: Karen.Campbell@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1391
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Karen Campbell is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the General Liability Practice. Ms. Campbell is a trial attorney with over 25 years of experience. Her practice focuses on the defense of long-term care providers in skilled nursing home and assisted living facility matters, general liability litigation at both the primary and excess levels, defense of toxic tort claims, including lead-based paint exposure and mold, and the representation of defendants in bodily injury claims brought under New York Labor Law Sections, 200, 240 and 241 and related common law construction accident claims, including with respect to indemnity issues and third party actions. Ms. Campbell also handles miscellaneous professional liability matters, including negligence, sexual abuse/misconduct, discrimination and errors in judgment claims, on behalf of social services agencies such as foster care agencies, outpatient mental health, addiction and counseling clinics, senior citizen and day care centers, and medical, beauty and personal care facilities.
Prior to entering private practice in 1991, Ms. Campbell was an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorneys office in Brooklyn, New York where she prosecuted and tried violent felony crimes. After leaving the District Attorney’s office in 1991, she became associated with a mid-sized firm specializing in environmental insurance coverage and defense of personal injury actions. In 1996, Ms. Campbell became a member of the firm. In 1998, Ms. Campbell joined the New York office of a large California firm as Special Counsel and served as one of the office’s trial counsel. She handled a variety of general liability cases and also concentrated her practice on the defense of hospitals, physicians and podiatrists in medical malpractice litigation arising from cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, eye, ear and nose, podiatry diseases or disorders. Most recently, in 2002, she joined a regional Massachusetts firm as the Managing Attorney of the New York office. Ms. Campbell served as the principal trial attorney in New York while overseeing the overall growth and development of the office from two attorneys to more than 17 employees. Ms. Campbell has successfully tried more than 55 cases in Kings, New York, Bronx, Suffolk and Westchester counties and in the Southern District of New York. She has obtained defense verdicts, directed verdicts and verdicts awarding minimal damages as well as handling the negotiation of favorable settlements both before and during trial.
Related Legal Alerts
- August 26, 2016 New York & New Jersey Trial Team Update
- September 06, 2017 Karen Campbell to Speak in Civil Litigation Webinar
- August 22, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Profiled for Commitment to Diversity
- June 15, 2017 Karen Campbell Accepted into ABOTA
- Karen L. Campbell, David B. Datny & Lauren A. Jones, Avatar in the Courtroom: Is 3D Technology Ready for Primetime?, 2013
- Co-author, “The Lawyer’s Guide to Lead Paint, Asbestos and Chinese Drywall” American Bar Association, 2010
- Panelist, “Getting a Seat at the Table: Tips for Women Lawyers,” Practicing Law Institute Women Lawyers in Leadership 2017
- Panelist, Mentoring Panel, 2016 Women’s Leadership Forum, Claims Litigation Management Alliance, October 6, 2016
- Seminar, Defending Premises Security Claims, Housing Authority Insurance Group Training Seminar, February 2016
- Panelist, Intro to Civil Practice Skills: Torts, Personal Injury and Insurance Law, New York State Bar Association CLE Program, October 2015
- Panelist, Throwing Away Your Case: How to Preserve Evidence in a Hospitality Lawsuit, Lewis Brisbois Webinar, August 20, 2015.
- Karen L. Campbell, et al., Avatar in the Courtroom: Is 3D Technology Ready for Primetime?, 63 Fed’n Def. & Corp. Couns. 295, 295-317 (2013).
- Faculty Member, “Transforming Confidence into Expertise,” Graduate Program of the Litigation Management College, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, June 2012, 2013
- Presentation, Effective Litigation Management, CEU Institute, October 2011
- Seminar, Damages, April 2011
- Presentation, Best Practices for Managing Catastrophic Claims, March 2011
- Panelist, “Litigation Trends, Trials and Take Aways,” National Risk Retention Association, October 2011
- Panelist, “How to Get to the Point: Making Expert Testimony Easy to Interpret for the Jury,” Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, July 2011
- Speaker, “Strategies for Success - Navigating Diversity on Rough Seas,” DRI Annual Meeting, 2010
- Speaker, Early Case Evaluation Settlement Strategies and Evaluation of Risk, Minority Corporate Counsel Association CLE Expo, March 2008
United States District Courts for the Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court of New Jersey
- Board Member, The Defense Association of New York (DANY)
- Member, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, 2008; State Representative for New York, 2012; Diversity Initiative Committee - Vice Chair, 2012
- Executive Board Member, National Association of Insurance Woman, 2006-2008, 2009-2010
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Awards & Honors
- 2005 Toxic Tort verdict selected by the New York Law Journal as one of the noteworthy cases from 2005 that resulted in a defense verdict.
- While earning her law degree, Ms. Campbell was a member of the Moot Court Board and was honored as a member of the Order of Barristers.
Tulane University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1987
University of Virginia
Bachelor of Arts, 1984