- Email: Damon.Brown@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.7909
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Damon Brown is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Employment & Labor Practice. He has successfully developed and executed pre-litigation resolution strategies as well as represented employers in federal and state court at every stage of employment litigation, including harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, and whistleblower retaliation claims, wage and hour class actions, unfair competition, workers’ compensation discrimination claims and OSHA matters. Mr. Brown is a trial lawyer having tried a number of cases to verdict.
Mr. Brown provides training, investigates complaints and counsels employers in all aspects of personnel matters, including wage & hour issues, disability accommodation, leaves of absence, employee discipline, harassment complaints, company-wide layoffs and terminations, and the development of employee handbooks and policies. He also negotiates and drafts employment, executive compensation, confidentiality and severance agreements and regularly defends employers in actions filed with state and federal agencies such as the Public Employment Relations Board, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, US Department of Labor, California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and the Office of Administrative Hearings.
In addition, Mr. Brown has traditional labor relations experience representing employers during collective bargaining, union-organizing drives and in grievance arbitrations, and defending employers against unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board. The diverse client base he represents includes municipalities, K-12 and community college districts, non-profits, and businesses in the healthcare, manufacturing, airline, hospitality, technology, food service, trucking and retail industries.
Mr. Brown is a frequent speaker on employment law topics, including workplace harassment, wage & hour, discrimination, disability accommodation and leave of absence administration under the Family Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act.
- John M. Langston Bar Association, President (2012)
- California Association of Black Lawyers, President-Elect (2017-2018)
Thomas Ferguson v. City of Cathedral City, (2011) 197 Cal.App.4th 1161
Certificate in international mediation and conciliation from the University of Bologna, Italy.
State Bar Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation (2015-2018)
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Mock Trial Volunteer
- Viscount Foundation, Board Member
- Navigating the Murky Waters of Workplace Disability Accommodation, 90th Annual Convention of the National Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA, July 2015
- Recent Developments in Labor & Employment for 2015, 38th Annual Conference of California Association of Black Lawyers, Los Angeles, CA, April 2015
- Omnipresence of Social Media, Langston Law Institute, Los Angeles, CA, September 2014
- Pregnancy & Beyond: Understanding Workplace Accommodation, Leave, and Lactation Rights, Orange County Bar Association's Labor & Employment Section Meeting, Newport Beach, CA, July 2014
- Overcoming Bias in the Employment Bar, California Employment Lawyers Association's 3rd Annual Diversity Leadership Summit, Los Angeles, CA, May 2014
- Wage & Hour Class Action Litigation in California: How is the California Supreme Court's Decision in Brinker and the United States Supreme Court's Decision in Concepcion Impacting Wage and Hour Class litigation, National Employment Law Council Annual Convention, Arlington, VA, April 2012
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- John M. Langston Bar Association
- California Association of Black Lawyers
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- California Minority Counsel Program
Awards & Honors
- Southern California "Rising Star," 2014-2017
- National Bar Association "Top 40 Under 40," 2011
Vanderbilt University Law School
Juris Doctor, 2004
University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts, with honors, 2001