- Email: John.Bender@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 206.455.7406
- Fax: 206.436.2030
John Bender is an associate in the Seattle office of Lewis Brisbois. His practice focuses on resolving complex civil cases on behalf of businesses and individuals in both state and federal court. He has successfully represented clients in cases involving breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, joint venture and partnership disputes, construction defects, consumer protection and unfair business practices, trade secret misappropriation, products and professional liability, and in regulatory matters brought by state and federal agencies.
John is a graduate of the University of Washington School of Law and was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers® Magazine in 2017 and 2018. He has been published by the National Business Institute, the American Bar Association’s Franchise Law Journal, Today’s General Counsel, Law360, The Seattle Times and the ABA’s Commercial and Business Litigation Committee.
- Delaware Case Makes It Easier for Duped Shareholders to Sue, Today’s General Counsel, Oct/Nov 2016.
- Reexamination of Direct-Derivative Distinction Under Tooley for Common Law 'Holder Claims', American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee (Summer, 2016)
- Washington’s New LLC Act: Out with the Old, In with the New, Defense News, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Winter Issue, 2015.
- Washington’s New LLC Act: Out with the Old, In with the New, Law360 (LexisNexis), December 23, 2015.
- Barking Up the Wrong Tree: the NLRB’s Joint Employer Standard and the Case for Preserving the Formalities of Business Format Franchising, 35 Franchise L.J. 209 (2015).
- Blurred Lines in Small Business; Disagreements to Legal Disputes. National Business Institute, Partnership and Shareholder Disputes from Start to Finish (2014).
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association – Business Law Section
- King County Bar Association – Business Law Section
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Compliance and Legal Society of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
Awards & Honors
- Super Lawyers® Magazine Rising Star 2018
- 2017 Edward Wood Dunham Rising Scholar Award, American Bar Association, Franchise Law Forum
- Super Lawyers® Magazine Rising Star 2017
University of Washington School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2015
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 2012