- Email: Connie.Anderson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.599.7793
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Connie Anderson is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and vice-chair of the Professional Liability Practice. Ms. Anderson represents investment advisors, registered representatives, accountants, actuaries, ERISA fiduciaries, lawyers, and insurance agents and brokers. Ms. Anderson has tried cases to verdict and decision in state and federal courts, as well as in FINRA arbitration. She has successfully defended claims involving a variety of alternative investments, annuities, options, and other investment products and strategies. Ms. Anderson has also successfully defended cases across the county involving insurance agents and brokers in cases involving negligence, breach of contract, and misrepresentation with respect to the procurement of various insurance products. She also represents clients in civil and administrative enforcement actions.
Ms. Anderson also regularly defends cases across the country concerning a variety of welfare benefits plans that were deemed to be abusive tax shelters by the IRS, and which resulted in subsequent fraud and other related claims against the designers and promoters of the plans for failing to predict the future tax treatment of the plans. She also regularly represents clients in complex business litigation, including matters involving real estate, partnership disputes, construction contracts, a variety of employment matters, and consumer class action defense.
Having earned both undergraduate and graduate degrees in business, Ms. Anderson has a strong understanding of financial products and complex business matters. She understands her clients’ businesses and can tailor case handling based on the client’s business and strategic considerations, as well as their risk tolerance. Ms. Anderson also works closely with her clients to provide a business oriented approach to address litigation-related client concerns, including implementing custom metric driven evaluative processes and facilitating communication of timely strategic considerations from within the business to the litigation team.
- April 18, 2017 Professional Liability Newsletter - Spring 2017
- Obtained Respondent’s award in $5 Million FINRA arbitration involving alternative investments, including REITS, TICS, oil and gas limited partnership, and premium financed insurance policy. Steinlauf v. Neuville, FINRA Arbitration No. 13-00415.
- Won Motion to Dismiss fraud and negligence based claims in Indiana State Court related to Welfare Benefits Plans formed under Internal Revenue Code sections 419(e) and 79. Plaintiffs alleged that Defendants knowingly promoted and sold plans that were not in compliance with IRS Rules and Regulations, and which had been heavily scrutinized by the IRS for years. Based thereupon, Plaintiffs sought recovery of all back taxes, interest, and penalties paid when the IRS found the plans to be abusive tax shelters and denied the plans’ qualifications and the deductions taken in connection therewith.
- Won Summary Judgment Motion on agent-broker negligence claim related to the alleged failure to obtain insurance on the proper building at Plaintiff’s winery. The case was successfully bifurcated as to a release entered into between Plaintiffs and the insurance carrier, and Ms. Anderson successfully argued that the release applied to both the insurance agent, as well as the subject matter of Plaintiff’s claims against the agent.
- First chaired a federal jury trial defending the subsidiary of one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in a case involving claims of professional liability related to the administration of a profit-sharing plan
- Successfully bifurcated all aspects of litigation of a complex professional negligence action involving the administration and investment advice given with respect to a defined benefit plan;
- Obtained a walk-away settlement in a professional negligence case involving a defined benefits plan wherein Plaintiffs stipulated that the allegations contained in their complaint were false.
- Obtained a dismissal of a multi-million dollar variable annuity securities fraud case at the pleadings stage
- Obtained a dismissal at the pleadings stage of a significant portion of litigation against third party administrator and insurance broker relating to a 419(e) Single Employer Welfare Benefit Plan
- Defended against consumer class action and other complex business litigation matters, including successfully resolving a consumer class action for alleged violations of consumer privacy related laws. Possible exposure in the case was approximately $850 million; however, Ms. Anderson was able to resolve the case for under $250,000, or roughly 0.02% of the original damage exposure
- Managed highly contentious multi-million dollar litigation concerning partnership dispute between two major real estate developers
- Represented a real estate developer in litigation concerning a national homebuilder’s failure to complete the purchase of a $26 million dollar property, Ms. Anderson defeated the homebuilder’s motion for a right to attach a $4 million dollar deposit held by the developer, convincing the Court that the homebuilder could not show a likelihood of success at the time of trial
- Drafted a significant opposition to a demurrer on technical federal preemption issues, presented in a case concerning a high-profile train crash
- Obtained a settlement of approximately $850,000 on the eve of trial for a landlord in an action against its former tenant that breached its lease and damaged the property while removing its business equipment. The settlement amount was approximately 90% of the amount that her client was seeking at trial; and
- Obtained a $375,000 jury verdict in favor of tenant against landlord who refused to allow tenant’s exercise of option to extend lease of a commercial space, causing significant damage to the client’s business. Ms. Anderson sat second chair at trial.
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
Awards & Honors
- Named a Rising Star by Southern California Super Lawyers®, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Top Women Attorneys, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services, 2005
Pepperdine University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2000
Pepperdine University Graziadio School of Business and Management
Masters of Business Administration, 1999
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, minor in German, 1996