- Email: Katie.Ackels@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 972.638.8670
- Fax: 214.722.7111
Katie Ackels is an associate in the Dallas office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. Katie handles a wide range of litigation for a diverse client base, including commercial litigation and insurance matters.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois, Katie practiced with a healthcare boutique where she advised clients nationwide regarding matters involving Medicaid eligibility and reimbursement, regulatory compliance and liability defense, collections and probate issues, and administrative law. Katie worked to secure favorable outcomes for these clients in courts across the country, being admitted pro hac vice in states such as New Mexico and Colorado.
Katie also has experience at the federal and state levels, spending time working for the United States Attorney’s Office and the State Office of Administrative Hearings, where her work focused on Medicare fraud and matters involving the Texas Medical Board and Texas Department of Insurance. Katie has a passion for advocating for her clients and helping her clients resolve issues in an efficient manner, both from a time and cost perspective.
Katie worked in the healthcare and real estate fields prior to pursuing a legal career and believes that this experience benefits her clients through her ability to identify the business and operational concerns affected by the law.
- Comment, Blowing the Whistle Falls on Deaf Ears: Revamping Texas’s Whistleblower Jurisprudence by Applying the Lessons of Garcetti and Sarbanes-Oxley, 43 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 647 (2011).
- Article, Preparing for Another Round of Swine Flu: Will the WHO’s Plan Prove to be a Success for the Global Community and Will the U.S. Lead the Way? Journal of Biosecurity, Biosafety and Biodefense Law, Vol. 3: Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 2154-3186, DOI: 10.1515/2154-3186.1033 (July 2012).
Katie was born and raised in the Texas Hill Country. She enjoys cooking and live music and is an avid sports fan.
Northern District of Texas
Eastern District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
Texas Tech University School of Law
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 2011
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Society
- Regent’s Scholarship
- Texas Center for the Judiciary Bench Book Committee
- Texas Tech Law Review: Executive Managing Editor
- Outstanding Overall 3L
- Outstanding 3L Editor
- Outstanding 2L Editor
Texas Lutheran University
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2006
- Honors Program Graduate
- Kappa Pi Gamma – President