Payroll Specialist – Los Angeles
September 20, 2017
Established in 1979, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP (“Lewis Brisbois”) is a national, full-service law firm with more than 1,125 attorneys and 42 offices in 26 states. As a result of rapid growth and expansion, we have an outstanding opportunity in our firm-wide accounting department for a Payroll Specialist. We offer an excellent rewards package that includes competitive compensation, medical, dental and life insurance, vacation and sick pay, as well as a wide range of voluntary benefits. The Payroll Specialist performs payroll related-functions, including payroll processing of the bi-weekly, semi-monthly and monthly payrolls, payroll tax compliance, automated timekeeping systems, and payroll reporting in a multi-site, multi-state, high-volume environment.
- Process payroll for multi-frequency employees as scheduled; prepare off-cycle payrolls and manual checks as necessary.
- Perform payroll-related maintenance functions including but not limited to processing new hires, termination status changes, tax changes, wage garnishments, deductions, direct deposits, and verification of employment.
- Perform file imports into payroll system from various sources and review and verify payroll data in a timely manner; scan and input documents into personnel files.
- Create upload of positive paychecks issued on a daily basis.
- Prepare and perform HSA funding, research, and template creation.
- Respond to routine inquiries from employees concerning payroll deductions and accruals, wage garnishments, and child support payments; escalate non-routine inquiries and issues to Payroll Coordinator or Payroll Manager.
- Other duties as assigned/needed.
- 5 to 7 years of progressive directly related work experience.
- Large law firm experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of multi-state payroll tax laws; proficient using Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word and Excel; Ceridian HPL preferred.
- College degree preferred.
- Hands on and experience working in a fast-paced dynamic environment; proactive and takes initiative; maintains a customer service focus and mindset.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems through effective customer service interface and communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Integrity and ethics; maturity and judgment; strong work ethic; confidentiality maintained at all times.
- Effective interface and interaction with other functional areas, including Human Resources and Benefits.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
We offer legal practice in more than 35 specialties and a multitude of subspecialties associated with each practice area. Our national practice is sophisticated, multi-faceted, and well versed in current legal trends, while our individual state practices provide vast resources and knowledge of procedural and legal nuances. Lewis Brisbois is known for its commitment to principled advocacy, an unflinching work ethic, and unyielding recognition of our duty to provide the highest level of service to our clients, who choose us because we take the time to understand their business interests and philosophies. The same service standards are also the objective for our functional and staff professional departments. Diversity is also an integral part of our culture and daily life, and Lewis Brisbois has repeatedly received national recognition for our commitment to embracing diversity, including recent rankings by Law360 as the 3rd best firm in the United States for diversity and 4th best for women.
Lewis Brisbois is committed to equal employment opportunity in hiring, employment and promotion decisions. Lewis Brisbois seeks to employ and advance the best qualified employee without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), denial of family and medical care leave, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or membership in any other protected classes recognized by federal or applicable state or local law.
Please submit resume and salary requirements to: LARecruiter@lewisbrisbois.com.Back to Career Search