National Billing Director - Los Angeles
April 07, 2017
Established in 1979, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP (“Lewis Brisbois”) is a national, full-service law firm with more than 1,125 attorneys and 41 offices in 26 states. We are listed among the prestigious AmLaw 100 and ranked 15th in the Law360 400 list of the nation’s largest law firms. We are currently searching for a National Billing Director. The National Billing Director (“Billing Director”) will be a key leader in the Finance and Accounting management team. Billing Director will lead the Billing Department and billing functions in all of the Firm's national offices. The Billing Director must be highly knowledgeable about legal accounting processes and e-billing and able to implement billing solutions within a high volume legal billing system. The Billing Director must possess strong leadership, customer service, effective communication, professionalism, team building, and interpersonal skills, as the role frequently interacts with Management, Attorneys, other staff, and Firm Clients, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The Billing Director must be able perform both as a leader and team player and motivate the Billing Department to achieve the highest level of quality and professionalism.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate, and motivate a large department including several supervisors.
- Establish strategic goals and objectives for the Department.
- Take ownership of the client billing process and ensure successful monthly close cycle.
- Establish controls and use reporting to ensure the quality, integrity, and timeliness of the billing process.
- Drive continuous metric-based improvement (on productivity and efficiency) and positive morale.
- Implement and enforce best practices on billing procedures throughout the Firm.
- Ensure proper education of attorneys and training of secretaries and other legal staff on key billing procedures, policies, and tools.
- Perform as a team member, working independently as needed, and allocate staff resources to ensure internal and external inquiries are responded to accurately and on time.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate credibly with attorneys, secretaries, and clients.
- Research, respond to, and resolve inquiries regarding billing related issues.
- Manage preparation, maintenance, and updating of procedural manuals.
- Ensure strict confidentiality at all times.
- Oversee special billing projects as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance, or business or equivalent (advanced degree preferred) with proven history of professional growth and leadership.
- Minimum 10 years prior law firm billing/collections experience with at least 5 years in supervisory role.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proactive organizational skills to strategize, prioritize, and implement process design improvements.
- Aderant, Elite, LawTime (or equivalent) legal accounting software including eBillingHub experience.
- Hands on familiarity with multiple ebilling vendor systems and outside counsel guidelines.
- Experience implementing a new billing system and with insurance industry billing are real positives.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook and ability to create, edit, and present complex data.
- Able to perform professionally under tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with a customer service attitude to problem-solving.
- Must have strong technology and office skills.
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast paced ever-changing work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and demands.
Note: Position will be based in Los Angeles, relocation will be considered for outstanding candidates.
MORE ABOUT LEWIS BRISBOIS:
We offer legal practice in more than 35 specialties and a multitude of subspecialties associated with each practice area. Our national practice is sophisticated, multi-faceted, and well versed in current legal trends, while our individual state practices provide vast resources and knowledge of procedural and legal nuances. Lewis Brisbois is known for its commitment to principled advocacy, an unflinching work ethic, and unyielding recognition of our duty to provide the highest level of service to our clients, who choose us because we take the time to understand their business interests and philosophies. The same service standards are also the objective for our functional and staff professional departments. Diversity is also an integral part of our culture and daily life, and Lewis Brisbois has repeatedly received national recognition for our commitment to embracing diversity, including recent rankings by Law360 as the 3rd best firm in the United States for diversity and 4th best for women.
Lewis Brisbois is committed to equal employment opportunity in hiring, employment and promotion decisions. Lewis Brisbois seeks to employ and advance the best qualified employee without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), denial of family and medical care leave, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or membership in any other protected classes recognized by federal or applicable state or local law.
All candidates should submit their resume to: LARecruiter@lewisbrisbois.com. Please no recruiters and no phone inquiries regarding this posting.Back to Career Search