Floater Legal Secretary - Denver
April 21, 2017
JOB TITLE: Floater Legal Secretary
OFFICE: Denver Office
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Full-Time
- Reports directly to office administrator on administrative matters
- Reports directly to assigned partner(s) and associate(s) on work product matters
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The essential duties and responsibilities include those listed below. Other related duties may be assigned. The floater performs skilled legal functions which include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for providing desk coverage, as assigned by the office administrator, during planned and unplanned absences of permanently assigned secretaries or paralegals.
- Assist all personnel with various secretarial, administrative, or clerical tasks when not covering a specific desk.
- Performs all usual and customary secretarial or paralegal functions for attorneys when assigned to cover a desk.
- Types and/or finalizes and prepares for filing all pleadings, briefs, correspondence, opinions, orders, complaints, contracts, affidavits, and other legal documents.
- Files pleadings according to supervising attorney’s instructions (via facsimile, hard copy, or using CM/ECF, Colorado Courts E-Filing, and other jurisdiction electronic filing systems).
- Obtains costs for all filings and other client expenses and processes check requests for same.
- Prepares interrogatories and other discovery pleadings and responses thereto using formats chosen by attorneys.
- Assists in organizing discovery materials and in trial preparation.
- Responsible for file maintenance, including insuring that all incoming and outgoing pleadings, correspondence and other written materials are promptly inputted and properly named/profiled in NetDocs system.
- Maintains paper ‘working files’ as necessary and requested for depositions and use at trial.
- Maintains knowledge and a high level of expertise on firm systems and procedures, including word-processing (Word), calendaring (E-Dockets), email (Outlook) and file maintenance software (NetDocs).
- Assists attorneys in maintaining timesheets (Smart Time) and related tracking, as requested.
- Requests training in firm systems and software, as needed.
- Requests assistance with projects and deadlines, as needed.
- Stays informed on court procedures and rules and performs simple research on new or changed procedures and rules.
- Composes simple correspondence and cover letters.
- Maintains attorneys calendars, including scheduling appointments, depositions and meetings.
- Calendars and changes, as necessary, court or client-imposed deadlines.
- Makes travel arrangements for attorneys, as requested.
- Prepares expense reports and other administrative functions.
- Maintains team relationship with all staff members.
- Contributes to overall office functioning by being backup receptionist which, on occasion, will include answering incoming main line calls; date stamp, scan and import incoming mail into NetDocs; out-going mail; maintaining all office and kitchen supplies; assist visiting attorneys, etc.
- Maintains helpful, can-do attitude internally and in all contacts with clients and other Lewis Brisbois offices.
- Uses discretion and good judgment.
- Recognizes and offers help in special needs situation.
- Promptly reports any concerns or needs to office administrator.
- The above represent the basic nature of the job and do not necessarily state all duties that may be required for successful performance. All staff members are required to recognize that flexibility and teamwork are essential to our success. To that end, we expect that:
- Attendance be regular and predictable.
- Changes to schedule are requested in advance and properly prepared for.
- Professional attitude is always maintained.
- Flexibility and ability to change assignments on short notice, if necessary, is maintained.
- Communication is to the right person for the right reason at the right time.
- The firm’s safe work practices and procedures are followed.
- Pride in providing the highest quality legal services is shown.
Please send resumes/cover letters to DENRecruiter@lewisbrisbois.com.Back to Career Search