Chief Financial Officer – Los Angeles
January 04, 2018
Established in 1979, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP (“Lewis Brisbois”) is a national, full-service law firm with more than 1,125 attorneys and 42 offices in 26 states. We are listed among the prestigious AmLaw 100 and ranked 13th in the Law360 400 list of the nation’s largest law firms. We are currently searching for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) who will lead all aspects of Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith’s accounting and financial operations across our 40+ national offices. The CFO will contribute to financial and strategic leadership, ensure optimal department effectiveness via automation and continuous process improvement, and pro-actively manage and optimize financial performance in alignment with the firm’s objectives. The CFO will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will work closely with the firm’s Chairman, Management Committee, Office Managing Partners, Practice Group Leaders, Partners, and other leaders. He or she will manage, develop, and mentor a diverse team of about 100 finance and accounting, Director, Manager, and staff professionals to highly contribute to the firm’s growth and diversification.
The CFO is responsible for the following functional areas and related policies and procedures: billing and accounts receivable collections, banking relationships, forecasting and performance monitoring, business insurance, cash and treasury management, partner compensation and employee payroll, escrow and client trust account administration, financial reporting, independent audit and tax engagements, financial planning and analysis, general accounting, lease support, retirement/benefits accounting, tax administration/planning, and filing/compliance.
The CFO will:
- Serve as key advisor and strategic partner to the Chair, COO, and other leaders regarding business planning, profitability, growth targets, and revenue goals.
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies to enhance cash flow and position.
- Keep firm leadership continually apprised of financial performance and identify areas of concern and recommend improvement strategies.
- Advise on capital structure, partner compensation, lateral attorney acquisitions, client billing rates, alternative fee arrangements, new matter intake, taxation and approaches/solutions, and provide input into the firm’s strategic direction.
- Recommend organizational, operational, and technological improvements.
- Modernize the firm’s financial system including conversion to a new enterprise level system and drive continuous improvement and innovation.
- Partner with firm’s leaders and talent to develop analyses, metrics, benchmarks, dashboards, and systems to manage revenue, utilization, realization, leverage, expenses, and collection speed.
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls for cash flow and cash management and institute improved electronic payment and cost control initiatives.
- Ensure the timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax reports and ERISA reports, and respond to audits, financial surveys, and insurance applications (e.g. liability, property, cybersecurity, workers’ compensation, and business interruption).
- Cultivate and manage external audit, financial services, and banking relationships; serve as key liaison to stakeholders in the financial services and business community.
- Monitor current business trends and best practices; maintain expert understanding of federal, state, and other regulatory agency rules and guidelines and their impact on firm; communicate the impact of new developments and make appropriate recommendations.
- Build, manage, and mentor a team culture committed to professional excellence and client service.
- Promote clear and effective lines of communication and collaboration across the firm.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce policies and procedures relating to financial functions.
- A minimum of 15 years of broad-based, strategic finance, and accounting leadership in a multi-office law or professional services firm with at least five years of senior-level experience.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Extensive experience leading all aspects of finance and accounting including financial planning and analysis, treasury, audit, billings and collections, tax, risk management, financial systems, and cost control/budgeting.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Demonstrated success directing all aspects of multi-state accounting operations. Proven understanding of corporate and partnership taxation.
- Significant knowledge of legal ethics rules, guidelines and compliance issues relating to client representations and engagements.
- Demonstrated success recruiting, managing, and developing high-performing teams including the ability to delegate and engage others (team, peers, and firm leaders).
- Strong background evolving financial infrastructure and systems, and driving continuous improvement, automation, and efficiency.
- Familiarity with major law firm financial systems/tools and able to stay current on such technologies.
- Experience administering retirement plans – cash balance, profit sharing, 401(k), and soft asset accounts.
- Superior analytical, organizational, problem-solving, decision making and project management skills.
- Excellent leadership skills, with proven ability to build and motivate a team within a complex fast-paced growing business environment.
- Excellent presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills with ability to concisely synthesize data and interact credibly and diplomatically with all.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, business acumen, judgment, and success collaborating both as a leader and team member of cross-department initiatives.
- Demonstrate high levels of confidentiality, discretion, and customer service to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Adaptable to a fast-paced environment and able to coordinate competing demands under tight deadlines.
- The position will be in Los Angeles, relocation will be considered.
We offer legal practice in more than 40 specialties and a multitude of subspecialties associated with each practice area. Our national practice is sophisticated, multi-faceted, and well versed in current legal trends, while our individual state practices provide vast resources and knowledge of procedural and legal nuances. Lewis Brisbois is known for its commitment to principled advocacy, an unflinching work ethic, and unyielding recognition of our duty to provide the highest level of service to our clients, who choose us because we take the time to understand their business interests and philosophies. The same service standards are also the objective for our functional and staff professional departments. Diversity is also an integral part of our culture and daily life, and Lewis Brisbois has repeatedly received national recognition for our commitment to embracing diversity, including recent rankings by Law360 as the 3rd best firm in the United States for diversity and 4th best for women.
All candidates should submit their resume to: LARecruiter@lewisbrisbois.com. Please no recruiters and no phone inquiries regarding this posting.
Lewis Brisbois is committed to equal employment opportunity in hiring, employment, and promotion decisions. Lewis Brisbois seeks to employ and advance the best qualified employee without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), denial of family and medical care leave, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or membership in any other protected classes recognized by federal or applicable state or local law.Back to Career Search